Error "U1" on brand new CLD-9 LD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Typo in the title. That should be CLD-79.

No matter what disc I put into the player (LD or CD), my new CLD-79 will only display "U1" onscreen and in the player's display. According to the instruction manual, this means that the disc is dirty, but I've tried many discs, and all are flawless as far as I can see. I let the unit stand overnight thinking it might be condensation on the lens because it had been sitting in the entranceway to my building all day, but it's still not working.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? I haven't seen any of the other error messages that are listed in the back of the manual.

Thanks.

2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Where or from whom did you buy the player from? I almost bought a new-in-box CLD-79 recently. I suggest you lift the hood and look at the internals of the player. I had a brand new Pioneer player that gave an error code upon first plugging it up. Turns out the wiring harness that goes to the thing that detects the rotation of the spindle wasn't seated. Easy fix [​IMG]
    Jim

3. Jay Sylvester

I picked it up on ebay. The seller had sold several of the same model new-in-box previously with positive feedback, so it seemed like a safe bet.

I don't know anything about internal stuff. I wouldn't even know what to look at. Can you provide some more specific instructions please?

4. Jim A. Banville

Was his ID 280ZX of something like that? I ALMOST bought one too. That broken player was probably DESTINED for me. Ha ha! I shook off the gremlins once more!
    Anyway, just look inside the player and make sure all the connectors are snugly inserted into their sockets. The item I had trouble with is the wiring harness going to a small thingie that made a "C" shape around a 1" diameter disc mounted just below the area that the disc actually rests on (motor spindle/clamp). It probably gave a different code, but my point is that it may be that simple. Also try leaving the player unplugged for awhile. Maybe that'll reset some logic circuitry. Good luck [​IMG]
    Jim

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

mine came with a A5 error code and the drawer wouldn't open.

Fed ex even delivered the thing upside down.

Not a good thing to ship.

6. Jay Sylvester

Did you take it to a service center or fix it yourself? I'd be pissed if I had to get this thing serviced. It's not like it's under warranty, so it would cost me money.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

it was insured for $300 so hopefully fed ex will fork up

8. Jay Sylvester

I just got home and opened up the player. Nothing appears loose or out of place. The lens appears clean. There was some white goop smeared on this little dark blue thing that sits an inch or two to the right of the lens, so I gently wiped this off. No rattling noises when I move the player around. It was double-boxed when shipped, and neither the original carton nor the shipping box appear to have suffered any stress.

There are many other error messages in the manual that denote much more serious problems, but I'm consistently getting "U1." I've tried many LDs and CDs, and have checked them all thoroughly. They are spotless; no scratches, no smudges, no dirt.

This is really annoying.

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The optical pickup is probably not functioning. Are the cables going to the pickup inserted snugly?

KJP

10. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

You may have already tried this, or the machine may not have it... but, I had a couple of Pioneer LD players and a few of them had a locking screw to keep the laser safe during shipping. Take a look at the manual, on the players that I owned the pin was a pink colored "screw" on the bottom of the player. I hope this helps and doesn't add to the confusion...

Good luck -JD

11. Jay Sylvester

I had a CD player that had one of those locking mechanisms; I looked for that, and there doesn't appear to be one.
    Here's what I see when I take the cover off:
    http://www.codebloat.com/junk/LD_transport.jpg
    All of the connections there are tight.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    CLD-79's don't have a transit screw. It's been a long time since any models did, about the early 90's.

13. Jay Sylvester

I just tried to play a CD, and got a "U0" instead of "U1." U0 isn't listed in the manual. Anyone know what this means?

14. Jim A. Banville

Checkout the newsgroup alt.video.laserdisc . There are a couple of LD player repairmen that frequent that group.

15. Jay Sylvester

Unfortunately my service provider (Comcast) switched to their new network recently, and I can't find any info on their site about the NNTP server. They say Excite's server is still available, but I don't have the info for that either.

16. Bill Spahn

Bill Spahn Auditioning

The resident expert at AVL for this would be Kurtis Bahr. You can e-mail him at [email protected]
    There was a post last year about a very similar problem to yours that you can read about here
    Good luck,
    Bill

17. Jay Sylvester

Get this, before taking it in tomorrow to have it serviced, I figured I'd pop it open one last time to make sure everything was okay. I get home from work, open it up, and don't see anything. I realize though that the drawer is blocking most of the innards of the player, so I plug it in, open up the drawer, then unplug it. I start snooping around, and I notice a cable coming from the general area of the disc clamping mechanism. It's just hanging there. I look at the mainboard, and guess what I see? An empty socket. I plug in the cable, turn on the player, insert a disc, and it spins right up. Turns out the clamp had no power to it, which is what was causing the U1 error (the spindle would try to spin the disc, but it couldn't get a grip because the clamp wasn't locking down).
    I just watched Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. This thing is awesome [​IMG] I had no idea the quality was so good. I'd say at least as good as any non-anamorphic DVD I have. I bet it's gorgeous with a line doubler (I have an analog Wega right now).
    Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

18. Jim A. Banville

19. Jay Sylvester

Heh, yeah you did [​IMG] I didn't see it the first time I looked because it was obscured by the disc drawer.
    I watched Star Wars and Empire last night. Tonight it's Jedi and Raiders [​IMG]

20. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Do an advanced google search in the alt.video.laserdisc group. Type in "u1 error"
    Here are some error codes, yours included:

H0 - Spindle overcurrent detection error
    H1 - Partial short error
    H2 or A0 - Power supply abnormality error
    U0 - FG abnormality error
    U1 - Miss clamp error
    U2 - Communication error