ERROR -> Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_Area

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Glenn Overholt, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm hoping this will catch someone's eye.

I'm running XP home w/SP1 - NO SP2 2gig CPU w/512 memory
    No Network, just a dial-up (like for coming here!)
    Installed Sept 10, '04
    Last item loaded/change made: Sept. 13

Yesterday I turned this off at 3 and went out. When I turned it back on around 4, it wouldn't even boot! I'd end up with a blue screen with that message, along with pile of crap that didn't do me any good at all.

I put the XP CD in as a last resort to have it repair my install, but it got stuck, and ended up in an endless "we will now continue your installation, to a stop, a reboot, and it starts all over again.

Fortunately, I have a 2nd physical hard drive, s I swapped the start-up drive and installed XP Home on that.

No brand names - I've been building PC's since 1985.

Now, can someone explain what happened? I haven't ereased my old OS yet, hoping there's a clue in there that someone here can find.

Thanks in advance
    Glenn

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

what are the error codea it gives? I can answer your question with those [​IMG] there are a ton of things that can give stop errors such as this, the codes help you identify what program or whatever is causing the error,sometimes corrupt stuff on drives or bad memory cause these kind of errors as well. All else fails format the drive, and you will be up and running again.

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Interpreting the Message

This Stop message has four parameters:

1. Memory address that caused the fault.
    2. Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
    3. If not zero, the instruction address that referenced the address in parameter 0x00000001.
    4. This parameter is reserved (set aside for future use).

Resolving the Problem

The following suggestions are specific to Stop 0x50 errors.

* If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.
    * Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ha! I wish it would have made it far enough to get an error code. I just got 'page fault in non paged area' in the middle of a page explaining why XP won't load and suggestions for getting it to work. This wasn't a blue screen with just two lines in the middle; the whole page was full of text.

I did go to the MS site but that phrase got into NT, and some junk about running out of memory. That isn't too far from some of what you wrote. It asked me reset some bios settings like 'disable cashing & shadowing'.

I thought that my memory had failed but I got the OS set up on the other hard drive with no problems. I also have NAV running all of the time, but I rarely even get a hint of a virus showing up in an email. I don't go around to a lot of wierd sites and don't download very much so I don't think that any kind of a virus did it.

Could one of the programs that loads up the OS have failed? Like instead of setting aside a memory area covering 20k it instead asked for 20gig?

THe only thing that I lost in the crash was the time it will take me to reload my programs, but I am hoping that someone has seen this before, and knows what happened. Thanks.
    Glenn

4. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hm..maybe your hard drive is failing? Maybe on bootup the appropriate file isn't there, and then upon your reinstallation attempt you're unable to write the file properly to continue the install process? Probably a longshot, but if you have any dos or bios level diagnostics might want to give it a shot.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Use your XP disc to go into repair mode. It will give you a command prompt. You can type "help" and get a list of acceptable commands. There's one called chkdsk that will check the drive for physical errors. There's a related one that will actually re-write the master boot record (MBR). This one could prove useful in your situation if your drive is still OK.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I didn't consider a bad hard disk. It is is funny how you end up in the middle of the forest and still can't see it for the trees.

The hard disk is just a few months old, so maybe diagostics would be a good idea. I have Spinright lying around...

Glenn

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Well, I wanted to recreate this mess, or see if I could. I had the drive error-checked in XP and then defragged, but I had zero errors and it had been degragged just the other day.

So, I switched drive and rebooted, and it came up like nothing had ever hapened. FIGURES! If it happens again I'll write the whole page down an put it up. Thank all.

Glenn

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Double check your CPU speed settings in the BIOS. It is possible that a glitch may have caused your PC to boot with the wrong speeds - possibly overclocking it or running your memory out of spec.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No can do Max. It's an Intel board The D850MV. I did think about the CPU burping ( a momentary stop that would hit a program and freeze everything up) long enough to cause that error to pop up.

I'm going to go back in there and see if I can pull all of the new programs out (the ones it put in for the repair), and try it again. [​IMG]

Glenn