Error message when networking a Mac with a PC

Carl Johnson

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Carl III
I'm having a problem using my network to transfer files between a Mac and a PC. I've managed to set up a folder on the desktop of the PC that shows up in the network menu of the Mac, and I have no problem transferring from the PC to the Mac. On the other hand when I try to transfer files from the Mac to the PC I get an error message on the Mac that says
"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."
Any tips on how I can get permission to transfer from the Mac to the PC?

Thanks

JohnS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm currently trying to transfer my PC files to my mac and I'm stuck
How are you doing it?

Should I use Idisk?

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Carl,

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but having struggled through the same thing a year and a half ago, and setting up some type of SAMBA setup (I've lost the instructions long ago), I think the easiest thing (assuming you can fit the files into 8GB or 16GB) is just to go on the internet and buy an 8GB or 16GB flash drive. They're cheap now (I think I recently saw a Buy.com 16GB flash drive for $40) and just do it that way.

If I had to do it all over again today, that's what I'd do.

Carl Johnson

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Carl III
I screwed around with the network connection for well over an hour before I reached the point where the PC could talk to the Mac, but the Mac could not respond. After spending more time messing with both computers I eventually found a menu on the PC which basically said "Allow other computers on the network to modify your files?" to which I checked yes, which solved the problem.

It would have been faster and easier for me to either burn the files to DVD or to use a flash drive, but I just felt like doing things the hard way

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raujobe