What's new

Errol Flynn boxset for April 12th (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I ran a recently-struck 35mm studio print of CAPTAIN BLOOD today and the negative/element used to create it had some obvious problems - tears, printed-in dirt, dupey sections, etc. This sounds like a title where the elements have suffered from overuse, in addition to being shortened for the Dominant Pictures reissue in the 50s. Sounds like the DVD has some of the same issues, but certainly not enough to hamper the enjoyment of it. Looking forward to getting the box set on Tuesday!

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Does anyone know who owns the rights to "The Adventures of Don Juan" and if there are any plans to release it anytime soon? It's my all time favorite Errol Flynn Movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's a Warner title and a real possiblity for inclusion on a second Flynn boxset. This might be one of the tiles that Vincent Sherman already recorded a commentary for a future dvd release. On the Flynn documentary, he looked damn good for 98 years old. My guesses for the next Flynn boxset.
  • The Dawn Patrol
  • Virginia City
  • The Adventures of Don Juan
  • Gentleman Jim
  • Dive Bomber

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Oh, I sincerely hope so; I watched The Adventures of Don Juan just the other day again. Bliss. BTW, for a peek at the likely box art for the R1 Dive Bomber look here...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You know, after seeing the Adventures of Errol Flynn documentary, the one title that I'd really like to see would be Uncertain Glory. It just looked like an interesting film, something a bit off the standard path for Errol Flynn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my guilty pleasures is an Errol Flynn film called "Rocky Mountain". It's a little western taking place out West near the end of the Civil War. I always liked this film for some reason, probably because of how it ended.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Oops, I omitted one title that needs to belong to this set, if Warner does a six dvd boxset again without the documentary dvd. It is "The Charge of the Light Brigade". I know some might have problems with the film for one reason or another, but it's a childhood favorite of mine with one of the best battle scenes ever captured on film.

Crawdaddy

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I would also like seeing DESPERATE JOURNEY in the next Flynn set. If you like WHERE EAGLES DARE, I think you will like this rover-boys type adventure film. It really moves.

I consider CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE a masterpiece in film making. It is one of Max Steiner's very best scores and that final battle sequence has never been bettered.

There are still enough good, if not great Warner Flynn films that could make up a third set, UNCERTAIN GLORY, MARA MARU, TOO MUCH TOO SOON, ROCKY MOUNTAIN, EDGE OF DARKNESS....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Another vote for an eventual release of DESPERATE JOURNEY. It may not make the next Signature Collection but hopefully it will show up down the line.

I also would like Warners to release an authorized version of SANTA FE TRAIL. I know this PD but surely WB has the best available elements for this that would blow away some of the less than stellar presentations we've seen of this title.

If GENTLEMAN JIM and DON JUAN were included in a collection of these titles it could be called the ALAN HALE Signature Collection instead of the Errol Flynn Signature Collection. :) The Skipper's Dad was in a lot of EF movies.

Steve

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

TCM is showing it Tuesday, 4/19 at 4:00PM. I already have the TiVo set to record it as it's one of the few Errol Flynn movies I have yet to see.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Well, IMO, Captain Blood looks a lot less than "fine" - it's acceptable, in the same way the Marx Brothers transfers are acceptable. If you have no problem with those, then I suppose it's fine to say it's fine.

The Sea Hawk, despite the twenty-two minutes, is really fine - beautifully sharp and great contrast.

Next up: Elizabeth and Essex.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Now owning that Universal Marx set, which are acceptable discs, but not fine, as you say, then I now know what to expect when my Flynn set finally makes its way through customs. Which is fine. Though I have to say, Warners make a finer point by including some damn fine extras; it's a fine distinction when the film is the thing. But one worth making. Finally.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I've seen the new CAPTAIN BLOOD DVD. I've seen the film many times, in many incarnations, and I was impressed.

I think it looks very good, and probably looks better than it has in over 50 years. I say this taking into account that it is a 70 year old film that had its original camera negative put through intense overuse for years before then having a large amount of footage removed and discarded.

While not perfect, it's certainly heads and tails far superior to the best of any of Universal's Marx Bros. recent Marx Bros. reissues.

The overall image of CAPTAIN BLOOD is sharp and clean. It suffers none of the softness that the Marx pictures were subject to.....and at least CAPTAIN BLOOD had its missing footage located and returned to the film. Something Universal did not do for HORSE FEATHERS, or the missing lyric in ANIMAL CRACKERS.

We've only heard from a few people on this, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't an overall positive reaction to this DVD, and overall enthusiasm for the whole Flynn set.

It's another outstanding release from Warner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Arthur,
I guess you and I have different definitions as to the word "fine" and yes, I was one of those that defended the Marx Brothers dvds and have little problem with them. However, I thought Captain Blood was better looking than those dvds.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I know you're a big Warner supporter and all, but I wouldn't go that far in saying it's far superior to the Marx Brothers dvds. IMO, Captain Blood is better, but not far superior to those dvds.

Crawdaddy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Roger, I simply must be watching a different DVD of Captain Blood than you are. While I find the image acceptable, it is not beyond criticism, I'm sorry to say. It has many dupey-looking sections, there are many negative scratches and quite a bit of wear. If you want to directly compare it to one film in the Marx Bros. set, compare it to Duck Soup. I happen to think Duck Soup looks better.

I'm not in any way trying to be argumentative, but I'm sorry, the elements used for Captain Blood, IMO, are wanting - wanting in a way that the elements for The Sea Hawk are not. Just compare those two DVDs, Roger, and tell me there's no difference, that both are equally fine. It's no sin for Captain Blood to not be perfect, if that's the shape the elements are in. If that's the best we can have, then great, I'm thrilled we have it. But to ignore its imperfections makes one wonder, because they're there, no matter how you might like to convince me otherwise.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to butt in guys, but - setting aside the differing degrees of support for Warners product ( ;) ) - the fact that you are both watching on different set ups must have some bearing on what you are seeing.

Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder (and wafted by laser onto a screen or monitor of your choice)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
ArthurMy, I fully agree with you that CAPTAIN BLOOD is not beyond criticism. I also agree with you that THE SEA HAWK looks better than BLOOD. I wasn't ignoring the imperfections that are there, I agree with you that there are a few sections that have obvious problems. However, they are few and far between. Considering how many times this film was printed and re-printed for use all over the world, I was impressed. I love the movie, and what we have now, is so much better than what it looked like on laserdisc, or in 35mm release prints I used to see in repertory theaters years ago.

One reason for this could be that Eastman Kodak had not yet developed good duplicate stocks until the late 30s. (I think 1937?). This led to inevitable wear and tear on the original negative. That's why the most popular films of that era often have problematic elements.

Either way, I agree with you on another front, and that is that we are lucky to have it on DVD, and I assume, given the obvious care that has gone into these Flynn releases, that Warner Bros. put a lot of effort to try and give the best presentation possible given the elements they had to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks