What's new

Errol Flynn boxset for April 12th (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
HOLY CRAP!!!

How did I miss this update...

Dangerous Dan McFoo!!! Billboard Frolics!!! Porky's Poor Fish!!!

This just went from a "put it on the wish list" to "I'm buying this first thing on release day now!"; my anticipation just quadrupuled!!!

WARNER BROS. IS KILLING THEM!!!!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another fan of DODGE CITY. I think it's a very underrated western, and ranks with the very best.

I also identify with what Aaron Reynolds wrote about THE SEA HAWK. I audiotaped that film off of television before I had a VCR(I used to audiotape a lot of films and tv shows I loved), and I listened to that tape over and over again, mostly for Korngold's sublime score. It may be the greatest film score ever written.

I can't wait for this set! :)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

The problem with Elizabeth and Essex is that it's such a mishmash of styles. It's based on a blank verse play by Maxwell Anderson, Elizabeth the Queen, that attempted to be a throwback to Shakespearean tragedy, but as adapted it's sort of halfway between Anderson's would-be highbrow tragedy and a typical rousing costume adventure, and it's like the filmmakers couldn't quite decide what kind of film they were making. Plus it stars two actors who are not very well-matched in their acting styles.

The best thing about it, almost inevitably, is the Korngold score. In fact, my one quibble with these releases is that they don't seem to have any special features devoted to Korngold's music for the first three films (though they probably don't have the material for a full-fledged isolated score, I wouldn't mind some "scoring session" excerpts). But I'm sure the making-of documentaries will mention his contribution, which is absolutely invaluable -- his score for The Sea Hawk runs for something like 100 minutes of the film's 130 minutes, and Korngold actually got to advise the director, Michael Curtiz, on how to make people move in the proper rhythm for the music he was planning.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Aside from the feature-length Flynn Documentary in the set, each film has its own making-of documentary. I would think it would be more than likely that Korngold's contribution would be mentioned in at least one of them. Given WB's excellence in this regard, I would be surprised if it wasn't addressed at least on CAPT. BLOOD or SEA HAWK.

In regard to ELIZABETH & ESSEX, it's really quite a good film in my opinion. It's also no secret that Davis objected to Flynn as her leading man. However, in later years, she often remarked that he was excellent in his role, and that she wished she had the opportunity to let him know that before his untimely death.

Meanwhile, I think this is going to be yet another Warner winner. Let's hope it is successful enough to give us a follow-up.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Any reviews yet of these releases? I just watched Captain Blood on Turner Classic Movies and I'm ready to spend some money :D Thanks

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The Flynn documentary which WB and TCM produced is a real triumph. TCM ran it last night, and it only heightened my hunger for the new boxed set. After sitting through so many
'paint-by-numbers' A&E biographies, it only heightens the appreciation for such intelligent and provocative filmmaking. You see it in the Judy Garland American Masters docu that was a co-prod. with WB (on the EASTER PARADE DVD) and you see it in many other recent DVD releases like the Joan Crawford docu on MILDRED PIERCE or the TECHNICOLOR docu on ROBIN HOOD.

It's ironic that there was just an article in the NY Times this week lauding DVD docu producers, when the folks that worked on these longform pieces which were created for DVD and TV, have crafted truly wonderful films, on their own right....instead of meaningless puff pieces.

I can't wait until the Flynn boxed set is mine!

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I'm officially an Errol Flynn fan after watching Adventures Of Robin Hood

The guy had so much charisma on film

This will basically be a blind buy for me not having seen any of his other movies

Wraner these great box sets have got to stop ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm with you Shane, I'm blind buying this as well. I have it on pre-order, and can't wait to get it in my hands.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We are certain aren't we - in view of what has happened to Warners other recent box sets - that this will be released complete in Canada, i.e. with the documentary disc?

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I held off ordering this online as I really wanted to pick it up on its release date. It's beginning to look like I'll have to order it online as the box set didn't make an appearance in any of the Sunday circulars. Even Borders doesn't have a listing for the box set, just the individual films (at $20 a pop no less). It looks like Costco is my last hope for a release date purchase. Old Errol gets the short DVD stick yet again.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Costco doesn't have it listed on their website, which is a bad sign. I checked yesterday. Amazon's price beats DDD for this set. :confused:

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Doh! I actually had written down the 4/19 date on my calendar but I had been looking at 4/12 as the release date for so long that my brain just kept on thinking that was it. Oops.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i used this set to fulfill my Columbia House obligations (it counts as 2 selections).

with this set and the movies i got for my enrollment, the per movie cost is the lowest i've ever had- around $5 and change with tax and s&h.

i was having second thoughts about the Flynn set 'cause i really only wanted one of the films (Captain Blood) but at that price its seems kind of foolish to resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks