What's new

Errol Flynn boxset for April 12th (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
This morning Movies Unlimited website lists the 6 disc/5 title Errol Flynn box set for April 12th. Titles include Sea Hawk/Captain Blood/Elizabeth and Essex/Dodge City/They Died With Their Boots On and a special disc on Errol Flynn.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
That's a fine lineup of movies with a nice mix of westerns and pirate classics. I'm intrigued by the extra disc on Flynn. Was there ever one of those one or two hour documentaries made on his life that TCM sometimes shows? It could be a lot more interesting than a lot of star bios, as Flynn could be a very naughty gentleman.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Btw, I'd also like to take this moment to thank Warner Bros. immensely for taking into consideration a concern that I previously had with the studio releasing these classic actor-themed box sets, and that is that they've avoided rehashing titles that were previously reissued in past sets - in this case, "The Adventures Of Robin Hood". Thank you Warner Bros. for recognizing that any fan of classic cinema and in this specific situation, Errol Flynn, would have obviously already purchased the Special Edition of Robin Hood along with the Warner Legends Collection and I'm happy to see that we are not forced to purchase duplicate titles with these new box sets. I hope the same consideration is offered with the inevitable Bogart set in future!

:emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the clue as to the documentary was dropped by George Feltenstein in his excellent interview with Robert Harris:

GF: Yes. We have a lot of Flynn coming up and a new documentary that will be part of a Flynn box set, and the documentary is called The Adventures of Errol Flynn and it's still in production right now and we have very high hopes for it.

RAH: Who is your documentarian on that?

GF: The people making that are Joan Kramer and David Heely, who made Katharine Hepburn: All About Me, and they're working on that right now. I just saw a rough cut on the third part yesterday, and it's really wonderful, and I'm happy to say that Olivia de Havilland participated in it, which is really a priceless contribution.

When she was in town to do her piece for Gone with the Wind, she agreed to talk about Errol… they made eight films together, so having her in there, along with Flynn's widow, Patrice Wymore and a lot of other impressive people who knew him and worked with him, and critics and so forth should be a wonderful thing. We generally do have these high profile documentaries.

I am soooo stoked by this, I can - to trot out the old cliche - hardly wait...

EDIT - www.moviesunlimited.com is listing it now for April 19 as follows: Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection. Six-disc set includes "Captain Blood," "Dodge City," "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex," "The Sea Hawk," "They Died with Their Boots On," and the exclusive documentary "The Adventures of Errol Flynn."

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I didn't think that Warner could top last year, but it looks like they're giving it their best shot.

Confirmed Boxsets:
Gangsters
Classic Comedies
Classic Musicals
Errol Flynn

Nearly Confirmed Boxsets:
Doris Day
Val Lewton
Looney Tunes V3

Rumored:
Bogart

It's shaping up to be even greater year!

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Excellent news! Now how about releasing the 1938 version of The Dawn Patrol next? Other than Captain Blood that's my most eagerly awaited Errol Flynn film.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Great news on the Flynn box set! :emoji_thumbsup:

And don't forget the British War Collection and the Ealing Comedies Collection, both upcoming from Anchor Bay.

:D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I was looking forward to those, but unless the transfers and extras (and none have been announced for the former) beat the R2s by a good margin then I won't be able to justify the outlay. I've a feeling AB have overcooked the pricing on this one. British War Collection price $89.98 ($80.98 at Amazon). Warners Classic Comedies set price $68.98 ($48.29 at Amazon).

It's not just content that make Warners releases winners...

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I believe that the Val Lewton set has been confirmed. One of the Warner reps recently said that it was coming this year. I'd guess that October would be a likely release date. I think Warner will get about 75% of my DVD spending budget if they keep this up.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes and Looney Tunes V3 is pretty much confirmed as well, I believe the films have already been preselected by Jerry Beck and are ready to be mastered...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe some restoration work on these Flynn movies was already done when they released the 2-disc SE of Adventures of Robin Hood in '03? I haven't looked at the disc in a while now, but I remember the Dodge City trailer looking pretty fantastic.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news!

Also forgot the Peckinpah set & the Film Noir Box Volume #2

Fantastic year if it all pans out.

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I will probably blind buy this set since I only familiar with Flynn as Robin Hood. I am going to trust Warners on this one and I have a feeling it won't let me down. I see his movies listed on TCM but I always wind up stuck doing something else.

Miss Randi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks