What's new

err...mushrooms in my yard? (1 Viewer)

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this is my first house and I'm not exactly a yard man or anything. I have these big, fat mushrooms growing in my backyard and I'm not sure what to do about them. My wife said some silly thing like they will lead to mold growing in the house, but I think that's probably just an old wives' tale...right? Anyway, can I just mow over them? They won't spread that way will they? Will weed killer kill them? I don't want to actually touch them, but suppose I could get on some gloves and surgically excise them from my yard if it comes down to it. :p)

Any of you yard gurus know how to handle this? I suppose I could ask the "experts" at Home Depot, but that sounds like a lot of trouble.

Ian C.

LewB

Screenwriter
I have mushrooms every fall in my front yard under a tree. I asked an 'expert' at the local plant nursery and he said that they would go away and that there wasn't much you can do to stop them from appearing.
I usually just rake them up. I'm concerned that a local child might get curious and take a bite.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
lawnmower? I used to take great satifsfaction in chopping them up and bagging them in the mower :D

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Heh...think I'll just mow over them...chopping them up into little bits sounds fine by me. I do have a rabbit living under the deck in the backyard, maybe he'll eat them before I get to 'em. :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh man, my puppy would lose it if i had a rabbit in my yard, she freaks out when she sees one across the way. not that she could catch it, or know what to do with it if she did.
I wonder if rabbits eat 'shrooms, if they're poisonous to us you'd think they might be to rabbits too

Jim_F

Screenwriter
There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Ian,

Most likley there was a tree planted before that was uprooted. This, I was told creates mushrooms from the roots beneath. No matter how big of a crater is dug to remove all the roots/soil. There is nothing much you can do.

So if anyone has a tree in their back or front lawn and thinking of removing it...Not a good idea.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Mike - I had the same problem. You have to get some groundup limestone compound to change the PH of the soil.

The limestone will make the soil more acidic or alkaline - sorry can't remember which - which the mushrooms cannot tolerate and will stops them from reappearing.

Ask your local gardening store they should be able to help you out.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I was hoping that I had some Black Cats left over from July 4th, so as to blow them up one by one. However, I couldn't find them, so I just settled for knocking them with a stick. :p)

Ian C.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Left doesn't know what the right is doing. Left doesn't know what the right is doing!

But anyway, Mother nature has had trouble developing wildlife that is resistant to heave use of fire. Sterno, zippo fluid, and matches cure almost all the garden pests!

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
When you change the oil in your car, dispose of the old oil by dumping it all over the mushrooms in your yard. It might hurt the grass temporarily, but it should stop the mushrooms from coming back. Just an idea.

EDIT: This was a joke, seriously, please don't try this!!!!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
[soapbox on]

Dumping motor oil is one of the causes of non-point source pollution. Please don't try to eradicate the mushrooms using this technique. Used engine oil should always be taken to a recycling center where it can be handled properly.

[/soapbox off]

- Walter.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Dumping motor oil is one of the causes of non-point source pollution. Please don't try to eradicate the mushrooms using this technique. Used engine oil should always be taken to a recycling center where it can be handled properly.
Really? hrm, I just pour it into an old milk jug and put it in the trash. That's bad huh? :laugh:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Fungus is awesome! Did you know that a fungus is the largest organism in the world? http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/e...ish_828525.htm

Mushrooms are just the fruiting bodies of the underground hyphae. You may notice that mushrooms tend to grow n circles. These circular patterns increase the nitrogen concentration in the soil and the grass is usually slightly greener in the area, creating a "fairy ring."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks