1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Ernest Shakleton's program on NOVA tuesday night..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Did anybody else see this besides me, and isn't that completely AMAZING, the story of his survival from being stuck in the ice on Wendell Bay to his journey to Elephant Isle and then to South Georgia Island????
    I'd put this in the TV forum but I thought since I'm more discussing Shakleton than the show itself, I thought here was the right place, but feel free to move it...
    Anyway, back to the Shakleton. I knew the story slightly, but not the nitty gritty and watching it last night, I am still in admiration of the leadership abilities of S. To keep his men from going insane over the 16/17 months they were out. The whole concept that they had no idea WWI was dragging out and was still being fought when they returned. And the fact that not only did he survive getting stuck in the ice, managing to navigate to Elephant Island, and then miraculously sailing 800 miles throught the southern oceans and getting to South Georgia Island. He then had to traverse this unmapped mountainous region full of glacier flows and cravasses!!! I think my jaw was hitting the floor when they said the Caird landed on the island but then they realized that the whaling camps were actually on the other side... D'oh!!!!
    I think that is most amazing story I have ever heard, almost as amazing as our first mission to the moon. Not losing one person out of the whole journey is astonishing. I know from PBS's website that Reinhold Meissner, Conrad Anker, Stephen Venables (Both Meissner and Anker are two of the most storied mountaineers today.) did a crossing of South Georgia island for PBS recently. Read about that here:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/shackle.../20000418.html
    Anyway, enough for now, now I need to read that book after I'm done with LOTR...
    Jay

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jay, I saw this excellent two-hour documentary and I must agree: What an incredible story of courage, leadership, and endurance--and triumph.

And what do you want to bet that some Hollywood exec, sitting in his living room, was watching this and making a note to himself? This true story has Big Hollywood Production written all over it, no? Only this NOVA episode treated the subject with depth and objectivity.

It was a gripping two hours. Strongly recommended!

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Anybody know a rebroadcast date, I was trying to find out on PBS.org but couldn't. I know some people who would be interested in seeing this who missed it.

I could see it becoming a hollywood movie, except there isn't any babes in bikinis or people eating each other in it. Alot of what impressed me is his mental toughness and his ability for logic and reason (the lack of keeping stores of food and the whole idea of Morale and teamwork is the #1 enemy, not the cold and starvation).

Jay

4. Mike Levine

Mike Levine Agent

Mike Levine
  5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It was jaw-dropping the way he came up with one solution after another--and capped it all by sailing 800 miles of rough, frigid ocean in a lifeboat--only to face the reality of that island.

Amazing stuff.

Oh, Jay, this has "Hollywood" written all over it, babes or no babes. Mark my words: It will be a "major motion picture" within two or three years.

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Argh! I missed it!
    If you haven't seen it yet, I HIGHLY recommend the Endurance documentary that was released theatrically last year. Liam Neeson narrates. Damn good stuff, and I was disappointed that it wasn't nominated for an Oscar. [​IMG]
    I'll be sure to catch the Branagh miniseries next month!