What's new

Eric Rohmer's "The Lady and the Duke" (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I might finally get a chance to see this film later this month, which has been making its rounds at numerous film festivals. From the trailer, it certainly looks interesting and I would like to read some comments about the film from those who have seen it. Thanks.

~Edwin

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It gets released here on Friday. I heard it uses digital technology to insert paintings from its time period to create the scenery.

~T

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I saw it, and enjoyed it greatly, but I'm a huge Rohmer fan, so take that as you will.
I thought that the background paintings were a masterstroke -- they worked far better in capturing the time and place than all the super expensive CGI & fake scenery in the world could have.
Rohmer has used a similar technique before on Perceval (one of the better Fox-Lorber DVD transfers, highly recommended), but The Lady and the Duke version is much more effective. The movie itself is not quite as good as Perceval, but that is strictly my opinion -- I can see that Perceval is very much an acquired taste.
Ted

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my most anticipated releases of the year, I just hope I get the chance to see it in a theater.

Perceval is in my top 3 Rohmer's, so you're whetting my apetite even more Ted.

The Aviator's Wife just shipped from Netflix, so barring further shipping mishaps, I should be seeing some Rohmer soon.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Avaitor's Wife is one of mine absolute favorites, enjoy!
The Lady and the Duke opens in New York on Friday.
Ted

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The Lady and the Duke reminded me of David Lean’s classic film, Doctor Zhivago – striking cinematography, beautiful set pieces but with a story that is far less compelling. Eric Rohmer uses paintings incorporated within computer graphic imagery to provide the background for the outdoor scenes. Without a doubt, the results are simply amazing and I wish I had seen this one on the big screen just for those background scenes alone.
In the end, however, one demands more out of this period piece film and from my point of view, looks alone are not enough to recommend it. The film did not do a good job for me to care for any of its characters.
My Dinner With Andre, with its dialogue driven narrative, to which Rohmer’s latest opus is also heavily invested in, yields far greater results. Here, the political musings between a royalist and an aristocrat in the midst of a French revolution is neither interesting nor enlightening.
As always, your dividends may vary.
~Edwin

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Anything with Rohmer's name attached is a must-see. Once again, I hold no illusions on actually seeing this film until it hits video...unless it gets a wide release and even then...its very hit or miss. All I do know is that I am very highly anticipating it. Just to know that Rohmer has again made a lush, beautifully detailed film justifies my anticipation. I'm only 50/50 on period films no matter the artist, so it is essential to have a good looking film.

Bruce

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Lady and The Duke said:
Are you implying that Rohmer is copying My Dinner With Andre ?:)? I'm sure that the opposite is true, as Rohmer has been making his "talkies" since the early '60s.
For what it's worth I found the discussions in The Lady and The Duke very compelling, but then I am both a history and Rohmer buff. They certainly don't reach the Rohmerian philosophical heights of My Night at Maud's or Claire's Knee though.
Ted

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Are you implying that Rohmer is copying My Dinner With Andre ?:)?
Oh, good heavens, no. Not at all.
My point simply was if I was given a chance to eavesdrop on an extended conversation between Grace Elliott and the Duke of Orleans and that of Wallace Shawn and Andre Gregory, I'd choose the latter.
Like I said, the computerized scenic backdrops is amazing. For some, that alone is worth the price of admission. I can certainly see why.
~Edwin

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My opinion was similar to Edwin's. The backdrops were amazing and their integration with the action of the film jaw-dropping, but the film itself is, for me, a lesser Rohmer, never approaching the wondrous heights of Perceval or Boyfriends and Girlfriends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks