Eric Rohmer on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Ulmer, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Having just watched Pauline at the Beach, I'm trying to figure out a strategy for collecting Rohmer's films on DVD. I have the original Fox Lorber releases of Maud, Claire, etc, but not the later ones. Tales of Springtime still isn't released in Canada. I vaguely recall someone picking up more or Rohmer's catalogue, but can't remember who or what was coming.

Thoughts?

2. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

Criterion has definitely acquired Maud, Claire, and possibly others. They should be released sometime in 2004. Here's hoping for a Moral Tales box.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

As is the general rule of thumb, stay far away from Fox-Lorber DVDs.

Tale of Springtime is an MGM release and therefore a good transfer.

For the Six Moral Tales, I'd definitely wait for Criterions -- the best guess is that they will do a boxed set with all of them.

For French speakers, Rohmer boxes with extras (short films) are coming out in R2 France, no English subs (so far anyway).

The Marquise of O. is an exception to the general Fox-Lorber rule, the transfer is quite decent. There may be one or two others in that category (Parceval?).

Ted

4. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

The Summer Tale (Fox Lorber) has excellent transfer - much better than Rohmer MGM DVDs.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I don't think Summer's Tale it was anywhere close to as good as MGM's Tale Of Springtime disc. Perceval and The Marquise of O are the best of the Fox Lorbers. Most of the others are downright awful.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I'm not even sure if Fox-Lorber's Tale of Summer is OAR: weren't the Tales of the Four seasons films 1.66:1 and the F-L disk 4:3? Frankly I've only watched the old R2 France Tale of Winter DVD lately, and that is definitely 1.66:1 as is MGM's DVD of Springtime.

Ted

7. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion A Summer's Tale is one of the best Fox-Lorber DVDs. The AOR is 4:3 but the picture is very sharp, the colors are beautiful and the subtitles are optional.

MGM DVDs have much more grain and have muddy colors.