What's new

Eric Crouch's future in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the NFL, the QB position is basically predicatd on qucik drop back with a quicker read and release of the football, plus having the arm strength to get the ball on not only deep post/fly patterns, but deep outs, which nets you single coverage. You can tailor an offense for a west coast style which requires a more quicker release with throwning into short slants into the middle, and dumps off to the tight end and running backs.

A running QB will get mauled in the NFL due to the size, speed of the defensive players. Health in the NFL is major plus for a QB.

Steve Young was probably the last of the great scrambling QB's (though Doug Flutie isn't too bad).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
In our discussion of option quarterbacks, I realized we overlooked somebody pretty obvious: Donovan McNabb. He ran the "pro style" option at Syracuse (now there's one oxymoron you can put in your books). He's adapted pretty well to the NFL. But I still believe Crouch would be terrible for the NFL.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
With the way things are shaping up in the NFL, it seems that you dont need a QB that can pass, just one that doesnt turn the ball over...see also the baltimore ravens.

What impresses me about Crouch is that he is an exceptional athelete. I think that if he is put into a system that can develop his passing skills, he will be competetive in no time (3-4 years). I dont think that he had a good opportunity to develop passing skills in "option first, run second" Nebraska.

-ikiru

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
That's okay Tim, not many people outside of Wisconson or Nebraska have heard of him. :) He is the only Nebraska QB to be drafted in the first round (11th overall) and he was the leading passer for the Packers that one year with a measly 700-something yards. It wasn't a good year for the Pack and the pick was considered in hindsight to be a debacle.
The only other Nebraska QB who had a hope of starting at that position in the NFL was Brook Berringer, Tommy Frazier's backup who started when TF had blood clot problems. Brook had an NFL quality arm and was projected to be drafted in the middle of the first round of the 1996 draft. Sadly, he died in a plane crash (he was a private pilot) in mid April before the draft occurred. A few days later Paul Tagliabue paused the NFL draft for 1 minute of silence before the 15th pick, where Brook was expected to be go.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Joel, I forgot all about Vince Ferragamo! And he brought the Rams to a Superbowl too. Shame on me. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread