Eric Crouch's future in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Does Heisman winner Eric Crouch even have a future in the NFL?

Will he be converted to safety? I can't see him playing QB in the NFL.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Wide Receiver, most likely. Or, like you said, a safety.

I don't think anyone (even Eric) has any delusions about being an NFL quarterback...

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Joel - Eric does seem to have the notion that he can play QB in the NFL. Shortly after winning the Heisman I saw him interviewed. I believe it was on ESPN. When asked if he would like to play QB in the NFL he responded yes. He also discussed the fact that even though the vast majority of people believe he is destined to be a DB, he feels he has the skills to be a good QB. I didn't hear how he thinks he will transition from an option QB to a pro QB, but he thinks he can!

I hope he is drafted. He is a very talented player and should be able to find a spot somewhere. I would take a shot at him simply as a DB and if you can list him as a 3rd string QB that is just one more plus! 3rd stringers are the worst waste of $$$ in the NFL IMO. Might as well have one that can play D or special teams.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

A quarterback must be able to throw the ball to succeed in the NFL. This leaves Crouch out. I bet he was one of the few people sorry to see the XFL fold. [​IMG]
    He should be working on his tackling skills if he wants to play in the NFL. His best bet at making a team is at safety. If he is lucky, the coach may put in a few running plays for him, ala Ray Lucas in Miami.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Now that I think about it, he might make it as a slot back coming out of the "backfield" to catch passes. But it's got to be a good fit of the offense with his skills.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Besides being able to just throw the ball, a QB also has to read defenses, make audibles, pick up blitzes, scan the field, make the mental adjustment...and then throw the ball. If Crouch wasn't very good at this in college, he certainly won't be good in the NFL. I don't think he realizes how big and fast everyone in the NFL is...not just one or two corners or safeties that you see once per season. I wish him luck, but if he wants to be gainfully employed, he better try a new position.
    Bruce

7. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

How fast is Crouch , what does he do in the 40? Making the switch to safety will be very difficult for him.Scott Frost made the switch in the NFL and in 4 seasons has only started 1 game & is mainly a special teams player.Still a tremendous feat for Frost .

9. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Crouch runs the 40 in 4.47, thanks to ESPN.com for the stat.

Eric has stated that he thinks he can play QB in the NFL during interviews with the Omaha World Herald. Can he? He is certainly more suited to WR, RB or a defensive backfield position. In his defense, 8 years ago I didn't think that Kordell "Slash" Stewart would ever play QB in the NFL. Stranger things have happened...

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

The day somebody figures out how to make the "option" a staple of NFL offenses is the day Crouch is on his way.

11. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

13. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric Crouch will not be a successful quarterback in the NFL. You have to be able to throw effectively in the NFL. That counts Crouch out. He's not a thrower and he's too small. However, with his running ability, he may have a future as a safety or kick returner.

15. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm a little hazy on my football history, but is there any current consistently good NFL quarterback who was a terrific option quarterback in college?

16. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Name me one Nebraska QB who started in the NFL. That's what I thought. [​IMG]

17. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I thought Tommie Frazier was better, and he didn't catch on with any NFL team.

There may be a trend toward mobile, athletic QBs in the NFL, but they have to have the arm to go with it.

I like Crouch as a triple-threat tailback.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jim, Tommie Frazier was a great athlete, but he did have health problems -- blood clots in a leg. I'm not sure if that in the end prevented him from playing in the NFL or not. I never saw Frazier as an NFL quarterback, but I thought he would have gotten a chance somewhere else with his athletic ability.

19. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Keith, thanks for jogging my memory. I'd completely forgotten there were other reasons for Frazier's absence on Sundays. A quickie search only revealed his short stint in the CFL.

On a similar note, I wonder what Antwaan Randle El will be doing next fall. He may be one of the top 5 atheletes available.

20. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit