Eric Clapton Crossroads - HD but no 16x9 DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mike_Skill, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill Stunt Coordinator

I just watched the Crossroads Guitar Festival on PBS in glorious HD. Looked awesome! So I looked up the DVD on DVD Empire and it's listed as 1:33-1. Can anyone confirm this?? If so a tremendous waste of a great looking widescreen concert shot in HD.

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I have the DVD and it is 16:9 widescreen. It also has a great DTS track, but the cover doesn't indicate it.

The concert runs about 3 1/2 hours and is spread over two discs. Disc 1 is absolutely gorgeous...clearly sourced from a high-def master.

Disc 2, however, suffers from a severe compression and/or authoring problem, which results in a video image that looks like it was sourced from a composite video master. After watching disc 1 with its amazing detail, disc 2 looks almost like VHS in comparison. While close-up shots look alright, distant shots and camera pans result in unacceptable pixelation and moire.

Can anyone else confirm this problem on their copy? I can't imagine I'm the only one noticing this problem. It's not likely to be a defect with my individual disc, but rather a mastering error affecting the entire pressing.

3. Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill Stunt Coordinator

Thanks much for the reply!! Good news, with the exception of disc 2. Funny how often technical data on packages is often incomplete, absent or just wrong.

This is definitely a problem on disc 2 because a lot of the content of disc 2 was in the HD broadcast and it was all gorgeous! I can't imagine it being an artistic decision if disc 1 looks good.

4. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

It was on PBS last night but not PBS HD. I think they were showing Niagra Falls again. [​IMG]

I had it on zoom.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It was on PBS-HD in this area last night. Great concert!