What's new

Eric Clapton Crossroads - HD but no 16x9 DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the Crossroads Guitar Festival on PBS in glorious HD. Looked awesome! So I looked up the DVD on DVD Empire and it's listed as 1:33-1. Can anyone confirm this?? If so a tremendous waste of a great looking widescreen concert shot in HD.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I have the DVD and it is 16:9 widescreen. It also has a great DTS track, but the cover doesn't indicate it.

The concert runs about 3 1/2 hours and is spread over two discs. Disc 1 is absolutely gorgeous...clearly sourced from a high-def master.

Disc 2, however, suffers from a severe compression and/or authoring problem, which results in a video image that looks like it was sourced from a composite video master. After watching disc 1 with its amazing detail, disc 2 looks almost like VHS in comparison. While close-up shots look alright, distant shots and camera pans result in unacceptable pixelation and moire.

Can anyone else confirm this problem on their copy? I can't imagine I'm the only one noticing this problem. It's not likely to be a defect with my individual disc, but rather a mastering error affecting the entire pressing.

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks much for the reply!! Good news, with the exception of disc 2. Funny how often technical data on packages is often incomplete, absent or just wrong.

This is definitely a problem on disc 2 because a lot of the content of disc 2 was in the HD broadcast and it was all gorgeous! I can't imagine it being an artistic decision if disc 1 looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks