Erasing the primary HD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike LS, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Is there a program out there that can be used to easily format/erase the primary HD on a system?

A friend of mine has a Win95 machine that he is planning on junking, but he wants to erase the HD first to take out any personal info. He's not the most computer literate person in the world, so it would be best if there were an easy software solution for this.

Any suggestions?

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

If he's junking it, just spend a few minutes taking out the HD and drill a couple of holes in it!

Brent

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

That's what I'd do (or something similar), but he's just asking me for ideas. I don't want to go to the trouble of trying to explain where the hard drive is etc., or doing this for him. Just looking for an idiot proof way of erasing the drive that I can pass on to him.

4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Hook up the spare drive as a slave or secondary master. Use a boot disk and go into fdisk. Delete the partition. That'll blow out the drive.

There are still ways to recover some of the info with 3rd party software, but that takes some know how.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Again, that's something I'd have to get involved in. I know I could throw in my XP CD and format the drive with no problem. It's just that I don't want to do it for him. I just told him I'd check to see if there was a piece of software he could use to do it himself.

I guess I'll tell him to take a sledge hammer to it....take some pent up anger out on the thing while he's "erasing his drive".

[​IMG]

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Delete the partition AND reformat it. That will provide an extra bit of security that simply running an fdisk won't do.

Short of physically destroying the drive, you can also perform a low-level format through utilities that are offered by just about every major hard drive manufacturers from their web sites. This will completely wipe out everything on the hard drive by rewriting the drive with, I believe, nothing but zeros.

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

What kind of computer does he have? If it is from one of the major manuf (Dell, Compaq, etc) then hopefully he still has the Restore CD. This should restore the computer back to the way it was when he first pulled it out of the box.

The nice thing is that it is simple to do. Just pop in the disk and follow the instructions.[​IMG]

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If it is going to be trashed, he might have some fun and open it up. Then he could break the platters in two. That would do it.

Glenn

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I second the physical destruction. Get some fireworks, crow bars, sledge hammers and drills along with a few beers and some pizza and have at it.

Or we can take off and nuke the site from orbit...its the only way to be sure.

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I found a utility called KillDisk that creates a bootable floppy that will overwrite any disk on the system. It should do the trick.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Use a magnet, a big magnet...

12. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor