Eraserhead DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete_Calderwood, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Pete_Calderwood

Pete_Calderwood Auditioning

Anyone hear whether the Eraserhead DVD featured on the David Lynch Site will become available in a more practical keepcase-sized case? From what I've read, the 8"x8" case looks quite cool, but it doesn't fit on the DVD shelf and the packaging is rather flimsy and prone to degradation. Also, in general for those who own it, how good is the DVD itself Video/Audio wise?

2. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

It hasn't been released, but acording to Lynch, the restoration itself may make it the cleanest movie in history.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Hmmm. Would I rather have a boring plastic keepcase of Eraserhead or a custom package job designed by the director, himself?

I think I'll stick with the director and deal with my shelves later.

4. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Patrick,

Lynch is an artist, which means he may go for what has the best presentation, not for what is most practical. His box design for the shorts DVD does not hold the disc in place. After I paid $50 for this disc, it arrived scratched from sliding around in the cardboard sleeve during shipping. If his special design results in a damaged product, then it needs to be rethought. It's the disc you want to see, not a clever box.

As another poster said, any DVD packaging that immediately makes one want to replace it is not good. It would take about a couple hours and cost about three cents for Lynch to design a slip-sleeve cover scan and put it in the empty space in the bottom of his specialty packaging for those who desire it. Of course that still wouldn't solve the problem of damaged discs...

This seems a good time to re-beg: could someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come up with a slip-sleeve cover scan or a link to one. I would really appreciate it!

5. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

If you slide the shorts DVD box in with the disc pouch facing up then it won't slide around.

6. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Little good that would do for me now. I immediately transferred the shorts disc to an amray as soon as I got it. My beef is that it ARRIVED damaged and sliding around.