What's new

Eragon - reviews (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wow! The listing of those names really is a ripoff. Bigtime. :)....still looking forward to seeing it though. But I can't get over how close those names are to LOTR. At least be subtle about the homage ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Especially if they sound like James Bond. :p

I really want to give this a try too but I'm just not sure if it's worth the ticket price.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I'm mostly with you on those. Although, I did not hate POTC:DMC, but definitely did not like it as much as Black Pearl. It's biggest weakness was that Captain Barbossa was a much more interesting villian. Geoffrey Rush does a great job.

As to Eragon, wow, what a ripoff in the name department. Are there no creative talents whatsoever in the industry anymore, that they couldn't come up with original names on their own.

I am thinking of writing a sci-fi screenplay. The hero, a teen named Skuke Lywalker, who joins up with an old Deji Knight named Oci-Kan Wenobi to rescue a Princess named Reia Lorgana. They have to battle an evil empire whose forces are lead by the villianous Varth Dader. :D

Josh.C

Second Unit

Brilliant Idea John! I'm just upset that I didn't think of it first. If I could be so honored, I think I have a good name fitting for your film. How about "War Stars". If you don't like that maybe "space battles" or "balls of burning gas fighting each other".

Let me know, I just want a 2% cut. I have a feeling this one's gonna be BIG baby!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

Those two films should not be in the same sentence. I can't (and won't) speak for Eragon (directed by "ILM weather guy" Fangmeier), but Pan's Labyrinth is far, far, FAR beyond typical Hollywood fantasy (Krull, Dragonheart, Willow, etc). Eragon is designed to sell kid's meals and toys and a videogame. It looks woefully generic. Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best films of the past few years :)

That said, ripping off Star Wars is like being the clone of a clone in Multiplicity.

Josh.C

Second Unit

"I like Pizza Steve"

And Chuck, will you quit rubbing in the fact that you got a sneak peak at Pan's Labyrinth :) Where can I find this film????

JC

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just felt this should get a double post, and placed at the top of the next page, as a convenience. :)

But it still might be mindless fun. Even Godzilla 1998 was fun a few times when I watched it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Again, this was written by a 15 year old kid. His whole mind was probably full to bursting with names and plots from fantasy books and movies.

And Narnia was awful. If this is worse, I'll not even waste my time.

Josh.C

Second Unit

I'm gonna have to strongly disagree Malcolm. Sorry it wasn't your thing, but definitely not "awful" imo.

I thought it was very well done.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well, I wouldn't call Narnia awful either. But it really didn't do much for me. I had seen the old version, which IMHO was way too cheesy. But I gave this a fair view going in and the production values were great, so no negative bias there. But the story just didn't grab me, I never really felt much for the characters, a bit for the kids, much less for any of the characters in Narnia.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought Narnia was well-done, with it's heart in the right place. I found it a bit dull, but it's a competent film.

Sorry Josh...I only bring Pan's up when someone else does :) For me, it's not quite as good as The Fountain, but it is MUCH more accessible. It just belongs in discussions with The Departed and United 93. Not Eragon.

Back to Eragon, Malcolm nails it. It was written by a 15 year old. I wrote stuff ripping off Aliens when I was 12. While it sucked, it was probably better than Alien Resurrection ;) Long story short, if you think it'll be good...maybe you'll enjoy it. I think it would be awful, so for me it probably would be.

I would like to hear more HTF reviews. I thank Simon for his...I am not surprised at his opinion.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I wouldn't say it surprised me either, but I'm going into it with low expectations, and taking a group of kids. As long as they like it, it will be a successful outing.

I'm not so old and set in my film watching genre's (not trying to imply that any of you are either) that I can't admit to enjoying some children's stories brought to life.

I already mentioned that I thouroughly enjoyed Narnia. I also am a huge fan of the Harry Potter films. Any of you remember The Neverending Story??? LOVED IT!

Since I will not be seeing the film until Saturday or Sunday, I can't say where this one will fall on my kid's fantasy tale movie list.

I'm still going to give it a chance. And I look forward to more reviews over the next few days.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill

If "The Hobbit" movie ever gets made, you're not going to like Smaug very much. :P

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the blandest looking films I've seen in quite a while. The color palette was dour and dank in many spots, and the daylight scenes weren't all that good either.

Jeremy Irons does his yeoman's best, but can't quite elevate the material, and the guy playing Eragon, Ed Speleers, isn't all that interesting and the director/writers are perfectly okay with just putting him in scenes that just plod along with nary a thought given to time and distance covered by characters in impossibly short spans just to keep the film moving. Robert Carlyle chewed up the scenery, but wasn't all that nefarious as the Shade stooge of the king.

You could tell that many characters got the short-shrift towards the last half hour of the film, minimal character introduction and then the big finale that didn't live up to the build-up.

The dragon herself looked okay in closeups, but the flight sequences have a lot of hazy shots with not much details. It didn't look like state of the art 2006 CGI, more like 1996 CGI.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Thanks for the response Simon.

Hey Josh and Chris. I'd love to go into detail as to why I think Kong is better than Narnia, but you know someone on this forum will say that I am straying off the topic since this thread is about Eragon. So I'll just end this by saying when it is all said and done I'll take the big ape over Qui-Gon Lion anyday of the week :).

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Ironically....

Tolkien cribbed Gandalf and all the dwarf names from Norse mythology (The Elder Edda).

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks