ER season opener

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So what did y'all think of the season opener for ER?
    The fractured character arcs w/r/t the injuries from a "Jerry Springer"-like show was a little strange. While the whole point to the preventable tragedy was sad, it was a little too ham-fisted for me (plus, I saw it from a mile away).
    What's a little sad is that the show has to slowly but surely excise both Benton and Greene from the show, and I'm afraid it won't be pleasant to watch.
    I do think that Abby and Carter has better chemistry together than Abby and Kovachs (a sympathetic character with tragedy littering his past).
    I think Romano is going to lay a whammy on Carrie Weaver when it suits his purposes (he was totally unconvincing when he told her that he hadn't told anyone of her admitting to being a lesbian).
    Mark Greene and Elizabeth will have to work through his transgressions as a doctor when he didn't try to actively save the mass murderer who was after him and his family. Mark will finally confess to her, and the hospital will use this to dispatch him towards the end of the season. Plus having Sherry Stringfield show up with really throw Mark for a loop.
    I was surprised that Dr. Chen got the head resident slot because Weaver finally gave in and gave her the recommendation after their tiff from last season.
    Benton and his relationship with both his sister (still dealing with the gang-related death of her son) and Cleo will cause much strife in his life, plus having to deal with the mother of his son, and his son's condition will make it easier to write Benton out of the series.
    But, I didn't get a good vibe from the season opener.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I dont know,I do not thik Romano will mess with Weaver being a lesbian.Just a feeling,he has proven to have a little bit of heart along the way.
    I was not super impressed with the show and I hope it gets better.
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

3. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I agree Patrick. As much as the story lines seemed interesting, when the premier was over I was regretting not watching the show Agency which was on at the same time. Something was missing (and if I could nail it I would be working in Hollywood [​IMG] ).
    Chris

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I was happy to see John Aylward back as Anspaugh, albeit only briefly.
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

5. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I didn't like the style either. All in all it seemed a bit flat and worn. Not sure if it's the sure or me. If Greene and Benton both go then it won't be worth watching.

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

They ARE confirmed to be in their final season on the show. Carter is supposed to come to the fore in their place. I also believe this is one of the reasons that Sherry Stringfield is coming back.
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Did anyone else get a little freaked about seeing the girl almost fall on top of Abby & Carter? I had just seen an interview with a survivor of the WTC and they talked about seeing a whole bunch of people falling out of the building. I don't think they should have taken it out, it was just weird timing.
    I always thought Abby & Carter should be together. It was weird last season how they started to get together, then they hook her up with Luka.
    SPOILER FOR NEXT WEEK
    I read and they kinda of show it in the preview. That Benton's kids mom dies. My wife thinks that his sister will raise him to help her deal with her own sons death.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The show is really going down fast. Some shows should just know when it's over (like X-Files) and this is certainly one of them.
    Isn't this the second girlfriend Benton's had that has AIDS?
    When you start repeating yourself, it's just sad.
    Sherry Stringfield appears to be the type of person who'd swim back to the Titanic from the lifeboat.

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Chad,
    I don't think that one episode equates to 'going down fast'. Last season had a number of very good plot lines and I thought that there was strong emphasis on creating depth in most of the characters. I particularly liked what they did with Luka and the priest.
    Yeah, it wasn't a great premiere but I'm not quite ready to write ER off. If I'm not mistaken it still ranks in the top three in ratings practically every week. They must be doing something right. I don't mean this in a bad way at all but maybe you're just sick of it and need a change.
    ------------------

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Reece's (sp?) mom is Carla not Jeannie (the woman with HIV) and...
    SPOILER ALERT
    Spoiler:yes, I too believe she will be killed of. In real life, she was fired from both ER and Ally McBeal b/c she was too tempermental on set. So her death on ER would make sense...

12. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Chad, they are not repeating themselves, Benton's new love interest (Cleo) is on a drug cocktail to prevent HIV, she was exposed to it last year due to a mistake by Abbey. If you did not watch it last year, this is an easy mistake to make from the way they were talking EXCEPT for the fact they went so far as to mention that she only needed to be on it a while longer, which would not be the case if she did infact have HIV.
    I actually liked the premiere, neat to see they day from the different points of view.
    I wonder why Weaver lied about going to Africa, and why the cast was acting so funny when she was returning to work (seen in one of the POVs). Unless one of them knows about her being a lesbian.
    I look forward to this year!
    ------------------
    Doug Wright
    "I'm packing you an extra pair of shoes and your ANGRY eyes."

13. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Doug,
    My interpretation of the Weaver thing was the whole, "Shit, the boss is back from vacation, time to look busy!"
    Pieter
    ------------------
    Witness my BoomRoom's brand new layout as of Sep 21.

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Doug, my interpretation of the Weaver thing was that all of them know that she is a lesbian now.
    Glenn

15. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I feel like a complete moron. I just now realized that she faked the trip to Africa!

16. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Actually, I did watch all last season and it wasn't much better. Abby's mom storyline was not very interesting. Luka is a sad copy of Geroge Clooney (no one can deny how similar they look) and so far he's not an interesting or endearing character.
    And it has not been definitively stated that Cleo doesn't have AIDS. The 'cocktail' doesn't always ward it off. Since this is the last season for Edwards and Lasalle, this should be the last season for the show. I've watched it since the beginning and continue to watch it out of some sad habit, but am not enjoying it as much as I used to.I look far more forward to West Wing and The Practice.

17. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Well, opinions vary I guess.
    ------------------

18. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Chad, I could not agree more about the Practice, that has to be my wife and I's favourite show (tied with Law and Order).
    Also I could not tolerate Sally Field when she was screaming etc. but the whole story arc was very well done and set up a lot for Abbey and Carter. And I must mention Sally looks fabulous, I just did not particularily like what the role entailed.
    But I DO LOOK FORWARD to how they are going to write Benton and Greene out and look forward to Sherry Stringfield returning.
    Can not wait to see how this year pans out, I for one am optimistic!
    ------------------
    Doug Wright
    "I'm packing you an extra pair of shoes and your ANGRY eyes."

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What signs pointed to Weaver faking her trip to Africa?

20. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor