1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

ER Season 4 question Re: Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Bixenspan, Dec 18, 2005.

1. David Bixenspan

David Bixenspan Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know whether or not this season is cropped 16:9 taken from 4:3 like the previous seasons, or if it's taken from the actual 16:9 source? I've read in the past that S4 is when they started shooting in widescreen since the Japanese sets were 4:3 for Seasons 1-3 and then 16:9 from Season 4-on.

Thanks,
    -David

2. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    are you sure ER from seasons 1-3 is cropped from 4:3 ? I thought they shot for 4:3 but protected for 16:9 from the start with the exception of the credits. I realise the broadcast ratio was 4:3 but I didn't think they cropped it to 16:9 for the DVD.

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Comparing WS to FF on the first 3 seasons, you can see that the episodes are slightly cropped at the top, while showing more info on the sides. So it's kind of a mixed thing.

Chris

4. Ken N.

Ken N. Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    If the show was protected for 16:9 from the beginning I have no qualms with MAR for the first 3-4 seasons that were broadcast in 4:3.

I also had questions concerning the release pattern of this series, which is agonizingly slow when compared to other television product on disc.

Is this a result of culling for supplemental material, or a syndication broadcast rights entanglement, or something else entirely?

By the time Warner Bros. actually gets to the current season, 11th I think? DVD will be long dead.