Er I know its not DVD-But where's all the good DVDA and SACD titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-C, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

As these new sound formats roll out, i'm wondering why no Blockbuster titles?
    About the heavyest (sp) rock titles are Metallica and Deep Purple on DVDA, and Boston on SACD.
    Another forum mentioned something about a copywrite war.
    Is this the problem, or is it just taking time for the labels to release,and remaster in these new formats.
    Dark Side of the Moon-Begs for SACD or DVDA
    Anybody got the inside poop on this?
    ------------------

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It is expensive to retool a studio with the necessary equipment, especially one capable of 24/192.
    It'll take a little time, but as more mastering studios make the investment, more titles will be released--SACD & DVD-A are in their infancy just as DVD-V was in 1997.
    DJ
    [Edited last by David Judah on July 16, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

3. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

I think it's worth mentioning that artists often have contracts which allow re-negotiating of royalty rates when their material is released on a new format. Record companies do not care to increase royalty rates for catalog artists. I am sure the Floyd material is affected by this.
    Also - new masters need to be prepared (especially if these albums will be released in the new multichannel formats). Many artists revel in remixing their back catalog, while to others it's just a chore. Going back and using old quadraphonic masters is an option that can often have mixed results (Wings - for example, "Band on the Run" actually sounds pretty good while "Venus and Mars" is horrible).
    ------------------