What's new

Er 4/8/04 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was a rough episode.

The hospital has Susan and a hospital legal eagle (Armin Shimerman) go through the case that resulted in a patient's death under questionable circumstances last episode (Neela, Carter, and Gallant taking most of the fall for the death).

Gallant continues to be the martyr on the incident. It appears that the family won't press charges against the hospital. Gallant receives his Army orders to be shipped out to Iraq. Gallant comes across a war vet who's been going around the hospitals to get vicadin to sell to buy some other drug that helps with his migraines because the VA won't give him anything for his migraines. So Gallant is gone from County General for the time being. Neela gives him a rabbit's foot as he's about to leave in a cab to the airport. They share a brief kiss.

Corday finds out that she's been tabbed to be the head of surgery by Weaver, though Corday was never consulted for the position, and has to process such a nomination.

Pratt continues to be supportive of Deb's situation with her father's worsening mental condition.

Susan's pregnancy advances to the point that she was prescribed 5 weeks of bedrest, so she's pretty much gone from the ER.

Kovach and Sam continue to get more cozy with the quickies. Unfortunately, Sam's ex-husband shows up to throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

Abby failed her boards, while Neela passes (with flying colors, on presumes).

One of the worst days in Weaver's life has her losing Sandy, a victim of fighting a fire at a warehouse, and Weaver had to endure watching hours of grueling surgery while being witness to the heroic efforts used to try and stabilize her condition, but to no avail. Then, Sandy's family, never all that keen on Sandy's gay relationship with Weaver, conspire to keep their son Henry away from her, and Weaver is absolutely crushed by these 2 events. The final shot of Weaver was haunting. Laura Innes showed some really fine anguish of Weaver's loss of Sandy, and subsequent kidnapping of son Henry.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

This should make for a decent story line. The end of the episode was harsh. However, it was just too annoying how Weaver kept correcting Corday's "non-ultra P.C." terminology

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member

exactly what i said when it was over...and thank goodness...ER is finally getting to me. Charred bodies, family grief, crying, compound knee fractures: it makes me sick. But more significant is my declining appetite for the character's stories. Nothing but a bag of cliches if you asked me. Last week's cliche of the night:

Gallant: I'm sorry
Carter: I'm sorry too

tonight's cliche:

Gallant: I'm sorry, I thought you were supposed to help me
examiner: I am.

These are examples of weak writing and the same old babble we've heard since 1994. I really enjoy ER. In fact, I've watched it religiously since 1997, but as of this spring, I finally missed one or two, and it was a relief. Like I said, maybe ER is just getting to me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
How about when Gallant told Neela that he had to go to Iraq. She was kind of like "Well ok Gooooooo to Iraq." Like she was his wife and he was trying to get out of something to go to a poker game.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
So is Sharif Atkins (Gallant) gone from the show for a whole year? He told Pratt his tour was a year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
According to IMDB, Sharif Atkins (Gallant) will be leaving "ER" by the end of the 2003-04 season to co-star in the new Fall 2004 NBC cop drama "Pearl City".

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I got the impression that Weaver was doing that because she thought Corday wanted a more PC term, when in reality Corday had no clue Weaver was talking about her, Corday, to be the new head of surgery.

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
I would think that since Sandy works in a dangerous occupation, and is involved in a same-sex partnership, that she would have a clearly-written will drawn up that would give Weaver custody of their son. If not, she's a blockhead. But, hey, that wouldn't make for good drama, would it? :rolleyes

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator

I somehow doubt you can give away a person in your will. Hence, this is one the key points of gay marriage, so both partners can have custody of the child.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
You're correct that you can't give away a person in a will, but you can appoint someone to be the guardian of your child in the event of your death.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I don't think Sandy's family would pay any attention to this. Unfortuneatly for Dr. Weaver, I don't think she will see her child again.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well I was thinking that Weaver would definately win in a custody battle with all the hoopla over allowing Gay marriage and all. But, I would think it's a "Don't believe the hype" thing and that the eyes of the law are still very conservative, especially when children are involved. But then again, this is Hollywood we're talking here where any and all realism would be trashed to give victory to the liberal side of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks