Er - 3.28.02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Overall, last night's episode was full of twists and turns. The main theme was the revelation of Dr. Greene's cancer.

I felt terrible for Dr. Corday...I liked how Dr. Romano handled the situation. Hmmm, I'm wondering if there's a connection to the stabbing incident and Weaver's attraction to the firewoman. What's up with Luka? Is he a twelve yr. old now? Hey, it's cool...he's got the cash, why not flaunt it! Also, note to self: do not eat old frozen mushrooms.

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

There were two stabbing victims:

The first had defensive wounds on her hands and was stabbed repeatedly. The other had no defensive wounds and was stabbed in the upper part of her body. The second victim whispered to Weaver: "I loved her." The two victims were roommates at the dorm.

When the second victim said that, it shocked Weaver somewhat. Then Weaver asked the child about who saved him. He said a firelady which scared Weaver. So, Weaver wanted to check on her. Weaver's small feelings began to develop stronger which made her find Lopez at the bar.

And its a common theme that although Romano may seem tough on the outside, he does have a bit of warmth in him. He may be "riding" Corday every chance he gets but he never ever pushes the line.

3. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I also like Romano's view on marriage and commitment, funny how that contrasted with the girl who wouldn't donate part of her liver b/c of the playoffs coming up!

4. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I had a debacle with my vcr, so I missed this episode. Could somebody please give me a full, in-depth rundown on what happened? Thanks.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The episode opens with Mark shaving and cutting his neck. Corday is getting a wake-up call from the hotel she's staying at, and she looks like hell. The nanny shows up to take care of Ella (Mark has paid the nanny for the entire month). On the way to work, Corday sees Mark about to get on the L train, so she hangs back, avoiding him. Cue opening credits.

Cases:

Deb gets this patient who refuses to speak, but wanders around. Evidently something happened to the person who knitted the scarf/hat/gloves he was wearing, and sent him into shock. For some reason, I didn't care about this storyline, so I have no idea if they ever resolved it.

A college girl comes in with all sorts of stab wounds (10-15 stabs) of the defensive variety from trying to ward off repeated stabbing attack, Mark and Kerry work on her, Corday comes down for surgical consult. The assault was bad for this girl. She doesn't make it. The girl's female friend came with the ambulance and was shocked by what happened. Then another girl shows up with stab wounds (later it was determined these were self-inflicted stab wounds), it turns out to be the 1st victim's roommate who fell in love with the 1st girl, but once she found out the 1st victim was going to move out into the other friend's place, she went nuts. The 2nd girl's mom showed up and told the ER that her daughter was best friends with the 1st girl, but the 1st girl's friend doens't support this view of the relationship. The 2nd girl does make the effort to whisper "I loved her" to Kerry. This spooks Kerry (due to the lesbian love angle). The 2nd girl does make it through the self-stabbings alive to face the consequences.

In a building that collapsed on the EMT's, a whole group from Sandy's unit were sent to the building. Many of the EMTs came to the ER to get medical treatment. Kerry was concerned about Sandy (Kerry's most recent lesbian lover who left her because Kerry wasn't ready to be totally "out" as a lesbian) and had Jerry check and see if her whole unit made it out of the building. Kerry comes across a little boy patient who said that a nice EMT comforted him on the ride into the the ER, this leads to Kerry looking for Sandy, and finds her coming out of a bar, and Kerry more or less commits to being "out" now and they share a passionate kiss next to Sandy's car on the side of the street.

Abby is at Luka's place looking for apartments, most of the appealing prospects cost more than Abby can afford. Earlier Carter tells Abby that she could stay at his family's place, but Abby doesn't go for the idea. Luka comes back from playing basketball, Abby gives Luka some phone message about some girl that he's taking to the ice capades. Abby needles Luka about this development. Luka doesn't really like the girl (or so he says), and Abby wasn't sure she was convincing when answering the phone and telling the girl that she was just staying there on a temp basis.

A boy is brought into the ER by his parents, he's totally wet. As it turns out, the boy was adopted, and his new parents were concerned that the boy wasn't responding to them like they wanted, so they got a quack doctor to perfom some submerging activity that is supposed to simulate (for the boy) being re-born for his new parents. Well, the boy was underwater for over 2 minutes and passed out. The parents then drove him to the ER. Mark was pretty mad about the whole re-birthing idea, and called Social Services on the parents for child endangerment. The boy came out of his "coma".

A couple in their late 20's show up, and the wife is feeling sick. It turns out she ate some exotic mushrooms which caused her liver to shut down. So the wife needed a liver transplant ASAP. The wife has a sister who's a senior in high school and her basketball team is in the play-offs. Corday tried to convince the girl to consent to give up part of her liver for her older sister. After some time to consider it, the younger sister decided against the transplant operation at that time because she wanted to be selfish and play in the play-offs, plus she claimed that her older sister was never "there" for her, so she's got a grudge against her. She did say allow for the possibility of donating after the play-offs here done.

Ella's nanny brings Ella to the ER and finds Corday to tell her that Ella finally said "Dada". Corday tries to find Mark, but no one seems to know where he is, but Susan is covering his shift for the time being. Corday finds out from Susan in a subtle way that Mark's tumor has come back. Mark Green has his 1st round of chemo-therapy. Corday goes up the cancer ward and see Mark under treatment, she shares the Ella news. Corday tries to be strong in front of Mark. Later she leaves, and goes to the surgical lounge and is crying her eyes out. Romano comes in, just ribbing her until he notices that Corday is really in emotional pain. Corday tells Romano that the cancer is back, and she's tired of being the strong one, even though Mark doesn't expect her to be at his side in all of this due to their estrangement. Romano calmly asks Corday "Is he your husband?" Corday teary-eyed but responds "yes", then Romano asks "Do you love him?" and Corday also answers "yes" through the tears. This conversation pushes Corday back towards Mark.

Mark comes back from chemo-therapy and Kerry rides him for not doing his paperwork, and Mark just unloads on Kerry that he'll do it on his next shift and that he just started his 1st round of chemo and he's tired and he's going home early. This shocks the ER, everyone knows the score.

Carter goes off his shift, spots Susan sitting outside drinking really bad coffee. Carter does his best imitation of an apology to Susan for thinking that she was shacking up with Mark, when she was just comforting him in his time of need. Don't think there's anymore romance between Carter and Susan (earlier Susan keeps pushing Carter to go after Abby).

Corday returns to the Greene residence with Ella. She's greeted by Rachel, even lets her watch over Ella (the return of the trust that was broken earlier when Ella ingested some "E" that was in Rachel's bookbag), and she confirms to Rachel that Mark is sick again. Corday goes upstairs and hears Mark coughing a lot from the chemo-therapy side-effects. Corday puts a cool washrag on Mark's forehead to cool him down. And Corday is about to get up to get something else for Mark, Mark tells her to just stay with him, so she does, and the camera pulls back slowly showing a wife comforting her husband in his time of need.

6. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Pat,

Thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed. You really have a gift. You are like an online, written Tivo. Thanks again!

Stacy

7. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

I particularly liked one exchange between Romano and Corday:

Corday: Am I just supposed to go home and watch him die?

Romano: Yes.

Romano's answer was so simple and correct, no big pep talk or further explanation was required. I thought it was brilliant!

By the way Patrick, in case you're interested - the mute patient's mother was found dead in their apartment. It seems he had been present when she died and was with her body for some time (I can't remember exactly how long). This was revealed in a side conversation almost in passing.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Thanks, Steve, for the last bit of the puzzle.

As much of a PITA Romano can be, his humanity sometimes can just blindside you as a viewer. This was a terrific scene, tears-inducing.

9. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Another point of note is the exchange between Luka and Abby when he comes home from playing ball. Remember that Abby is a recovering alcoholic (Luka doesn't know it), and she's drinking again now. He asks her if there are any beers left in the fridge, she says there are a couple, and he gives her this quizzing look, as if he's starting to suspect something is up. I'll bet that Abby falling off the wagon will also be a storyline to be developed later in the season.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Abby was drinking on the night that she got beaten up by her wacko neighbor. She's been off the wagon quite a while now. [​IMG]

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

1) Wow to Patrick!

2) Good point about the Abby/Alcoholism debacle; I didn't pick up on that one!

Speaking of Romano, I just watched Shawshank last night, and he's one of the guards...what a great role for him!

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Romano was also the bad guy that gets all slaggy (from a chemical dump) and run over in Robocop.