Er - 2/13/2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Martin, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Hmmm...a mixed bag, but better than last week's episode, overall.

GREAT to see Susan have a storyline with meat to it. We were able to see the wonderful mixture of her world-weariness and care for patients. The writers have done a nice job building this storyline over a number of episodes, and Sherry Stringer has really shown her stuff. The guy playing the teenage cancer patient also has done a nice understated job with the role.

While I am sick to death of Abby's family, I really liked Abby and Carter in this episode. The writers actually mixed in some medicine with their story (!), and I found myself enjoying their interactions and time together. I'm still not convinced it's a very health relationship, but I am getting to like them together. I liked how Carter both ran interference for Abby and encouraged her to deal with her mother; he tried to immediately protect her but also tried to bump her towards dealing with her. However, I thought bringing Maggie to the doors of the trauma room while Abby was in the middle of an emergency was really, really stupid.

Maggie - eh. I'm just tired of the stories about Abby's family. Amazing how Maggie only ever visits Chicagon in November or February, hmm? [​IMG]

Kovac - why even bother with this episode? We start out with Kerry demanding his appearance or he's fired. What happens? He shows up late and keeps his job. And once again, we see that the NBC promo department is on serious crack - the ep was hyped as a "hero's return" - and Luka had maybe 5 minutes screen time, and none of decisive as to his fate or his internal struggle "to work things out." Should have left this out of the ep entirely.

Pratt and Chen - leaning to close to soap opera, but I am warming to them. And isn't Ming-Na just incredibly beautiful?

Kerry - Ugh. I just like this character less and less. She does have a warm side that once in a while peeks out, but her out and out attempt to manipulate Sandy into carrying the child was just wrong. It WAS,however, very in character for her.

2. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    And what about Carter proposing to Abbey? Come on!

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I realize the show is fiction, but throwing a kid on a snowbank and dumping saline all over him to cool his body was just absurd.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

But that's just Luka being Luka. [​IMG]

Overall, a very uneven episode. I still can't understand why they allow the grieving/hysterical relatives inside the ER while the doctors work on the patients. I was getting annoyed with the mother who ran over her child. Plus, I think we've seen this "brain dead, keep the body alive for the other relative to show up" storyline a million times already.

I did like the Fugit storyline with Susan.

I sort of like Pratt keeping his options open (keeping Chen off-balance by going up with the female EMT).

Weaver and Sandy are headed for a break-up with this baby dilemna.

Carter...I think he needs Abby's drama in his life because he's sort of a blank in terms of "life" experiences. Sure, Carter's has some family drama, but nothing like what Abby can offer during Sweeps weeks. [​IMG]

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I agree...NBC overhyped the Luka storyline bigtime. But I'm with Patrick on this one: dipping the poor kid in the snow was just Luka being Luka. I loved it!

I also like when Weaver hit the emergency door button on the purse snatcher.

Susan/Fugit: Great chemistry, I hope the kid fights

How bout the corpse waking up on Gallant!! I was dyin

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

A good episode overall. I really like Fugit/Susan storyline and he was well cast for the role. I also really liked Susan recommending he "fight" when it was clear he wanted to live.

Too much Abby though. We got he family, which has dominated these last several episode, her drinking, her smoking, and now her marriage. The only thing left is for her to cheat on Carter with Weaver and Pratt to have a chokehold on the entire 44 minute running time.

Still liking the Weaver storyline and her manipulation at the end was pretty chilling and dead on target for the character.

Kovac was a pointless addition to this episode. His time should have been sacrificed for any of the other storylines.

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I wonder what it was that Kovac "had to do" that day before work

8. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Patrick, I realize the "brain dead, keep the body alive for the other relative to show up" storyline has indeed been shown more than a few times, but this episode was more about Abbey seeing this common scenario in a different light. Here was a young boy, essentially dead at the unwitting hands of his mother. Meanwhile, Abbey's brother was missing and presumed dead - and in Abbey's mind, he'd committed suicide as a result of a mental disease handed down from his mother. She had the chance to see how her mother must feel blaming herself for her son's demise, and yet she chose to continue to be cold toward her mother, assumedly because she too blamed her. Then, at the end, we finally saw some sympathy when her mother took Abbey's role in the whole bipolar scenario. She said something like welcome to the outside of the disease, mom (?). Anyway, as frustrating as it has been to tolerate this whole Abbey family story arc, I actually found this one entertaining/interesting. Just IMHO...

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I understand the juxtaposition and the "getting to see things from the other side of the disease", but remember, as a long time viewer, I have seen it many times, while Abby's mom is finally getting a dose of what she repeatedly put Abby through all these years. So, the impact on me, the viewer, is less than it probably is on Abby's mom. But it's a good point to bring up. Good call.

10. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

I'm with you, Patrick. And I guess that is the real payoff here - seeing the confused look on Sally Field's character's face as she finally gets a taste of what her daughter endured her entire life.