ER - 12/12/02 - Luka's meltdown

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This episode is told in flashback format, starting with the end, but then peeling back how events lead up to what amounts to Luka's meltdown. Enjoying the show so far...

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Now that was messed up day for Luka.

Poor Gallant, the 3rd wheel.

3. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

So what happen on this episode again?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is that a serious question? (Just wondering if you'd seen the episode and were confused, or just wanted a synopsis).

5. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I loved this episode. The flashback format served to tell the story in a powerful way rather than being a gimmick (*cough* live episodes *cough*).
    My only problem with the episode is having to wait until next year to find out what happens to Harkins and Luka. [​IMG]

6. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

I watched the episode was confused. Their attempt on a Memento style didn't work too well.

7. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I agree. I think they copied Boomtown's format terribly.

8. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I thought the moment between the college girl and Luka was really well done, but I was both frustrated and intrigued.

Luka went through his crisis of faith a couple of years ago, and my perception was that he emerged feeling forgiven and having some sort of faith. Of course the writers then abandoned all attempts at growth and consistent characterization...

When the girl asked him if he believed in God, he didn't answer, which was confusing. I'm all for innovative storytelling, and for complex characterization. I just wish the writers would give Luka consistent character, rather than being all over the board.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm with keith I missed the "end" at the beginning so would someone kindly fill us in?

10. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

The key point is the Luka and Harkins are in a car accident after the terrible day at work. He was driving really fast.

Todd

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Beginning:

There's a Christmas party at Susan's where they exchange secret Santa presents. Abby gets a snow globe, but no one 'fesses up on who her Santa was. Carter is on call, so Abby and Carter have to leave early. Abby goes into a back room to get their coats, Luka comes out of the bathroom, a bit tipsy, Abby shows Luka the snow globe, and Luka take it and winds it up so it starts playing music (which may make Luka the secret Santa for Abby). Abby asks if he's to be working at the ER tomorrow, and Luka tells her that he's off the schedule. Luka tells Abby that they don't talk much anymore, and rubs his index finger on Abby's left upper arm in an intimate fashion. This gets Abby a bit defensive and she backs away casually. Carter shows up in the St. Nick of time, and Abby and Carter makes an exit.

Harkins sort of puts the moves on Luka (while it's obvious that Gallant is interested in Harkins too). Harkins takes Luka back to his place, he's drunk as a skunk, tells her that she's pretty, and kisses her, asks her why she wants to be a doctor (she's good in science, Luka just wants to help strangers). Harkins makes a joke that she's supposed to be the drunk one if he's trying to make a move on her. She gets Luka into his bed to sleep off the alcohol. She sleeps on his couch.

The next day, the ER is a mess, Chen's late, and Weaver gets Abby to call in Luka to cover for a couple of hours. Harkins answers Luka's phone and Abby has a suspicion that it's Harkins who answered the phone. Luka's still hung over, can't really see well (which affect his permanance for the rest of his shift). Both Luka and Harkins show up at the ER together, and romance rumor mills starts to run amok among the ER staffers.

Then we are introduced to the guy who looked like he had the flu, but suffered from leukemia (Luka misses this diagnosis due to not being sharp mentally), the girl soccer player who's a bit fogged up after getting some rough soccer contact in practice, this is where Luka orders the head CT for the girl which provided the information on what they were dealing with and the girl is treated for her ailment.

As Luka's shift is over, he's leaving the ER, but the ambulance pulls up and there's a Croatian man brought in who doesn't speak English well. At this point Luka could've just gone home, but he turns around to help translate for the Croatian man who attacked another man that he thought was one of the "gestapo" in his country many years ago. The Croatian man just went nuts and attacked the other guy.

Later, both Luka and Pratt cover for the Croatian when a police investigator comes looking for the old man.

By going back into the ER, the rest of the day's event unfold, and it gets us to his state of mind at the end of the day and Harkins asks for a ride home, and he drives like an idiot and gets into the wreck that causes Harkins' internal injuries.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oh, you wanted the "ending":

Yep, Luka gave Harkins (the med student a ride) home after his extended shift, but he started driving like a maniac because he was mad at himself for missing the leukemia diagnosis.

Harkins demanded that Luka let her out of his car, but by then, a homeless person with a shopping cart was in the road, so Luka swerved right, into the side of the road, into a part of a building, and I think Luka also clipped the other car, which had a father and son, Luka helped the son breath by clearing his airway from a broken clavicle.

Harkins assisted Luka, and then after the son was taken away in the first ambulance, Luka was talking to the second ambulance that made it to the accident site, and suddenly Harkins passed out.

We're led to believe she's sustain internal injuries, like her liver is messed up as Weaver is trying to stabilize Harkins, but we don't know if she makes it due her injuries from Luka plowing into the side of the building.

13. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

14. Justin1

Justin1 Stunt Coordinator

15. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Will these "gimmicky" episodes help or hinder the show. It, IMO, is getting very close to jumping the shark.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The episode was good overall, I guess, but went nowhere. Unless the next episode has something about the med student dying, then it would have been a relative waste of an episode.

Though I did like how they set it up like Luka and the girl had slept together, when in fact that wasn't what happened and you found that out at the end. Even so, I'm not so sure this kind of a gimmick was worth that little payoff.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think this episode was Luka's wake-up call.

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

20. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor