What's new

ER - 11/07/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another decent episode. Sure, a bit too much of Abby's brother and his new girlfriend. Abby's brother is hiding something, like he probably got kicked out of the air force. Again, Lewis and Gallant got hardly any significant scenes, as with Weaver. Romano just keeps nailing the lines (the Kovach accent line was great). Cheadle's character has some uncommon depth given his own ailment. (Did anyone else recognize the ailing 26 year old's father as "Holtz" from Angel?). The 14 year old girl's story was pretty disturbing by the end of the episode.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I think the whole thing with Abby and her brother is that he's acting somewhat irrationally. Given her family history, I think she fears that he's bi-polar. And I see from the previews that he has an outburst next week and Sally Field is scheduled to appear again, probably to help tie the storyline together. I wish they'd find a way to keep Don Cheadle around, since he's a fantastic actor. I too was disturbed by the girl's reckless attitude.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Pretty good episode. I also hope they keep Don Cheadle around for awhile. His character is a refreshing addition to the show.

Other comments:

- After showing his sensitive side in last week's episode, it looks like Romano is back to being his old self again. Loved his "So you were all suckers for the accent!" line.

- For some reason, I loved the dialog exchange between Nurse Adams and Abby. I guess I'm just glad that they finally gave her character a "moment" after all these years.

- It was a shame that just as Chen and Pratt were about to get it on, they were interrupted. Why don't TV characters ever lock their doors?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The magic ball always gets me too.

Going AWOL for Abby's brother afflicted with the same thing their mother has is probably the right call.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Seemed like a really strong episode. I'm liking Don Cheadle more and more as his episodes go on, and this one was very good for him.

All in all, I really like the casting and storylines so far this season. I had become disintereste before, but I'm back in sync with them now.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
I understand what they're doing with Don Cheadle's character - making him more sympathetic and understanding of what patients are going through given his own situation, but I have a concern with how they're doing it. In wanting to portray him as understanding, it seems to me they're making the other doctors seem too cold and unsympathetic by comparison. This ep seemed to be written this way just to make a stronger point for Cheadle; although you could see Carter's side too. I do like his character a lot though (what's his name anyway?) and Cheadle's a really good actor.

The first thing that occurred to me about Abby's brother was that he could be bi-polar like his mother.

What's with Kovac? I don't understand why the writers have switched his character so much, from a nice guy to a sex-addicted jerk. Maybe they're going somewhere with it - I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This ep seemed to be written this way just to make a stronger point for Cheadle; although you could see Carter's side too. I do like his character a lot though (what's his name anyway?) and Cheadle's a really good actor.
The difference, I think, is experience. Carter is hardened to fact that the 26 year old's going to die. Nathan, feverently hoping that stem cell research will save him too, wants the woman to hold on to her last string of hope. It was very balanced I think.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I also took it as an indication of how far Carter has come over the years. I seem to recall him being just as earnest about saving lives and discouraging choices to die as Nathan is right now. That was what struck me: how much he has "matured" or "calloused" to the situations he's faced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks