What's new

ER 10/31/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was a pretty solid episode, good characterizations going on while the ER is filled with burned victims, and other tragic situations:

Hiker winds up contracting flesh eating disease and requires amputation, something that Romano fought for a long time in the OR while Corday was brought in to stave off such an outcome.

Romano has always had the hots for Corday. He let his guard down after that surgery that resulted in the amputation, which was just as traumatic to him as it was to the hiker.

Kovach and Chuney - hahahaha. Chuney gets around, she bopped Green a few seasons back. Kovach does have a chauvinistic attitude towards some of the nurses.

The mercy DNR he had to extract from the woman trying for years to have a child, and she has a child that is destine to die really young, was very sad.

Abby's naughty nurse outfit should become the required dress of the ER.

I literally LOL when they brought in perpetual erection dude. Oh goodness, that was funny. The PE dude was the same guy who grabbed Ally McBeal's butt 4 years ago and caused her to wind up at Cage and Fish.

Don Cheadle's guest spot as a med student (Nathan) with Parkinson's disease was handled pretty well. It was quite wince-inducing watching his shaky hands try to do the simplest hook-up procedures. I think Nathan is destine for diagnosis, but won't be able to do the hands-on portion of medicine. I don' t even know if he'll last past next episode.

Weaver is totally out of it. She's got some major issues going on.

Did Susan have more than a minute of screentime? Same for Chen and Gallant.

Next week offers some more fireworks.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I agree, what a great episode. Romano was the best. "Hey, thanks for the pep talk (middle finger on the bad hand)" :laugh:
I always knew Kovach was a bit of an animal...with the Dodge Viper, Playstation and all. He's gonna get himself in a ton of trouble (maybe in next week's episode? ;)).

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Hey Patrick. Do you think that Romano has a .0001% chance w/Corday? She looked about as uncomfortable as a person could possibly look about that moment. She's avoiding him....didn't even want to look at him, let alone talk to him. I loved the episode.....but does anyone think those 2(corday and Romano)have any kind of chance together? P.S. That's the first time I can remember the writers giving Romano ANY kind of humanness(humaneness too). Anyone like where they are going with his character? I can't wait to see what happens next.....he's not a complete jerk. Only 99.999997% a jerk:D !

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think Romano will win Corday over, but it might take 2 seasons (if ER even goes for another season after this current season). The episode set the groundwork for Corday's life as a single mother/surgeon, and how grueling it is. She's also very sympathetic to Romano, even though he's a hardass. Corday did freeze up, but I don't think enough time has passed for her character to be over Mark's death to move on with a new romantic relationship (plus, she can't be feeling all that "romantic" with her life as surgeon and single mom).

Going through this ordeal, Romano is going to learn a huge lesson in humility, and he's going to learn that his gifts should not allow him to de-humanize patients as a mechanic would treat a car muffler and tailpipe replacement. Romano is now aware of the impact his surgical skills have on people because he was the recipient of such skills, and he may never operate again (they did shoehorn in the 9 month schedule to coincide with the end of May sweeps to see if Romano can make a miraculous comeback into surgery). Plus, Romano still owns any scene that he appears in, even if he can't actually "operate" now.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
I have been very down on ER lately, I feel some of the story lines have gone a bit over the top. With that said, I thought last night's episode was very good. IMO, The first solid episode in a long time.
Patrick - as an fyi, Don Cheadle is scheduled to be on for 4 episodes. Here's a link to the info:
http://www.geocities.com/erthewebsit...r_news0059.htm
I thought he did a great job last night, and agree that he won't be able to make it during surgical rotations.
Corbin - I agree that Romano has 0% chance with Corday. If you recall a few seasons ago, when she was seeing Benton, Romano was very jealous and made it very difficult for the two of them.
Pete

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Ouch.....I don't remember that! Exactly HOW difficult did he make their relationship? I remember that he was 'fond' of Corday, but don't remember him making those 2 uncomfortable or being obstructive when they were initially hooking up. Is there any way then that Romano has any kind of chance w/Corday? Can she even stand him......or was this a single moment of weakness, due to her daughter, no sleep, her husband passing away, coming back from overseas after being stressed out overseas(in other, stress on top of stress on stress X 2). Keep up the discussion......this is great.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Becoming a mother changes your perspective and priorites, which is why I think Romano still has a shot with Corday. In her carefree days when she was still playing the field, she was intimidated by Romano at first, and was aware of his affection for her, but she was more into Benton and then Mark. Plus Romano was a major butthead to her (like in the way when you're in 4th grade and you're mean to the person you have a crush on). Romano had skills, but no "game" so he struck out with Corday then.

But remember when Corday was sued for malpractice (some guy was paralyzed because she was in a hurry to go on vacation with Mark, and didn't quite do a good job on closing him back up), didn't Romano try to be in her corner, while also covering the hospital's butt from the lawsuit? It may have involved compromising herself by lying (I can't quite recall, but she did extricate herself out of that jam).

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
From what I recall, when Corday first came on the show, she was here on some kind of fellowship, and at first, Romano made veiled threats that the hospital wouldn't sponsor her. Benton definitely tried to defend her to Romano, which led to Romano & Benton's love-hate contentious relationship (which is something Romano has w/ almost everyone).

I agree it was nice (and shocking) to see Romano have that momentary lapse of humanity, but I think he's always had that side to him. Like Patrick said, he did defend Corday in that lawsuit. To me Romano has always been the kind of guy who displayed tough-love, if he respected you (which he does with Corday, and did with Benton.

My 2 cents, FWIW.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
In addition to the prior support in the lawsuit, I thought Romano's counsel when Mark was dying and Corday wasn't sure she wanted be around for the end; 'is he your husband? Do you love him? Then yes,' was a critical point in all of last season.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Don Cheadle is fantastic as always. I wish he was a permanent cast member. And this season is automatically better than the last one because we don't have to put up with the endless Mark Green angst-a-thon.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
Don Cheadle was excellent and played the part really well - just seeing him in the one episode made me care about his character and want to see him more.

I think it would be great for the show if they could make him a recurring character.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Ron:

Abby's "naughty'' nurse costume was nothing more than what real nurses wore in hospitals up to the early '70s--white dress, white cap. Nothing much more.

Romano and Corday?? Yikes. Let's hope ER ends this season and we never see this come to fruition.

Luka: On the road to total jerkdom. Remember when he was sensitive and kind, quietly suffering the loss of his wife and children in the Serbian war? Somewhere, someone decided to give him an edge, as if that would be more interesting. Now he just reminds me of that other jackass they dumped last year.

Susan: I'm sorry. Her character to simply taking up room in the ER. The producers and writers don't know what to do with her, therefore she has nothing to do.

Sharks are swimmin' in the ER.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks