Er 1/31/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Just when you think it can't go anymore wrong for Mark Greene, you just knew by the title of the episode, "The Damage Is Done," that it was going to get worse.

Elizabeth is sick on a Saturday, and Rachel volunteers to watch her her baby sister while Elizabeth gets some rest and Mark goes to work. Well, as misfortune would have it, the baby somehow found Rache's stash of ecstasy in her book bag and ate a couple of pills. This totally messed up the baby, and while it was touch-n-go at the ER (they had to inhalate because the baby's lungs were filling up with fluid), they were able to stabilize the baby's condition but at what cost? The side-effects of drugs being introduced into a baby were staggeringly sad (mainly under-developed brain function seems to be the biggest tragic side-effects). Elizabeth is totally angry at Rachel (as well she should be), and Mark was put in a place of being so mad and yet had to subsume his anger and still let Racher know that he loved her in spite of what occured.

It was a tough set of events, and it paves an even bumpier road for both Mark and Elizabeth. I hope they send Rachel packing, send her back to her mom's.

On the other fronts, Deb is still giving Weaver attitude, and Weaver is being assigned paperwork help from Susan by Romano (Weaver was not happy about this lessening of responsibility). Loved it when Frank told Weaver that she's going straight to hell for being a lesbian.

Carter's mom is trying to "be there" with a leukemia child patient, trying to make up for her past absences with ailing family members. Carter is conflicted by her renewed attention to this patient.

Abby is now getting stuck in the arguing neighbors scenario because she took in the female neighbor who was running away from her abusively loud husband.

The army doc is allergic to dogs. That blind man had some seriously gross long toe-nails. Ewww....

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I thought this was one of the best ER episodes in years. I didn't know how they would write Greene out of the story, now it appears they may be pulling another Benton spend-more-time-with-your-family angles. Perhaps he decides to be a stay-at-home dad? Or, perhaps he and Courday split up over the Rachel issue? They wouldn't kill off the baby would they? Now THAT would be very anti-feel-good...

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I too thought this was one of the best episodes in a while. I thought the whole Deb/Weaver thing will be better because she called Weaver in to replace Greene when he was working on his baby. I don't blame Elizabeth. I tried to think how I would feel and would react the same way. I wouldn't want Rachael around. I send that kid away to boarding school. No amount of "I'm Sorry"s could make up for such an irresponsible, inexcusable act as to bring drugs in to the house, especially with an infant.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think it reached a new low. First of all, Greene should have been immediately kicked out of the OR. His hysterics almost made me laugh.

No, I won't condone having drugs of any kind anywhere, but let me get this straight. They let the baby wander around the house? What are they, nuts? Both of them should be charged with child neglect and the baby taken away by social services. FOREVER!

Glenn

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Rachel was "supposed" to be watching the baby while Elizabeth got some rest for her flu. I don't get the child neglect criticism.

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

That's hardly neglect. Babies wander out of sight from time to time. A telephone rings, a doorbell sounds, another distraction occurs. Accidents happen. And social services is far from a happy solution.

With respect to Green's daughter's actions, yes they were irresponsible. But a family's job is to tough it out through both good and bad times. She made a mistake. But a family doesn't abandon someone because of a mistake. They support that person in order to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

As far as the episode is concerned, I thought it was a good way to introduce Green's exit. I don't think it will be like Benton's exit. I believe Corday will stay on the show and they will divorce. Maybe a reconcilliation with Jen is in order?

7. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

I haven't been in the loop with the latest ER episodes...I thought Chen had left??

I know Malucci (sic) packed his bags..and but I thought Doc Chen followed suit...

Obvoiusly I am WAY wrong..but where did she return from last night?

Oh..and were those the most nausea-inducing toenails EVER ?

Dave

8. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

Last episode, Deb showed up with a Lawyer with proof that Weaver lost her beeper that night. She didn't want to sue she just wanted her job back. Romano not wanting another lawsuit ordered Weaver to take her back.

It's been a while since I've seen a character go through such grief as Greene is going through and it looks like it will just get worse.

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

From the look of things from "A preview of next week's show", it defineately looks like Green's going to split with Corday. It's unfortuneate the least likeable of the two will be the one exiting.

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Wouldn't it be unfortunate if the MOST likable of the two were exiting? [​IMG]

12. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

This has nothing to with last night episodem, but did Luca leave the show, he has not been on in awhile.

Looks like Abbey may have bitten off more than she can chew with her new neighbors.

I don't believe the writers will have 2 character leave the same way in 1 season, I still like the speculation that Mark will have his tumor come back.

13. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Luca mentioned an episode or two ago that he was going to Bosnia to be a volunteer doc for awhile, or something like that.

Heres the description of next weeks ER from TV GuideER

A Simple Twist of Fate

60 min.

Four of the County General staffers face life-altering complications.

As baby Ella fights for her life after swallowing Rachel's secret stash of Ecstasy, a shattered Corday (Alex Kingston) lashes out at the teen in a move that rocks the Greene house. Meanwhile, Abby (Maura Tierney) pays a steep price for saving her neighbor from a violent situation; a dying patient's plight leads Carter to confront his mother (Mary McDonnell) about their painful family past; and Mark (Anthony Edwards) sees his worst nightmare resurfacing. Brian: Matthew Settle. Joyce: Christina Hendricks. Rachel: Hallee Hirsch.

The bit about Greene's worst nightmare sounds like it could be two things... but since they already mentioned Ella fighting for her life, I think it might be talking about his tumor

This looks like the last episode for the next two weeks because of the Olympics

Brian

14. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

In my local TV guide, it has next week's episode simply described as:

Elizabeth kicks Rachel out of the house.

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Has anyone on this show taken more abuse than Dr. Greene? God, I feel bad for that guy. Yeah, yeah, I know it's only a show.....

I sincerely hope that the speculation based on the spoiler above is incorrect. I don't want to see him exit that way. Unfortunately, I can only imagine one thing that could qualify as Mark's worst nightmare

BTW, I also got a big kick out of Frank telling Weaver she was going to hell. The whole scene with those two and Romano was very funny.

16. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Man, Dr. Greene was beyond berserk! He should have let out a few swear words, I mean c'mon NBC sensors. I his performance was awesome.

I'm also very interested to see what becomes of Abby and her neghbors.

Who else thinks that Frank will have a heart attack or something?

17. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Fantastic episode. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like that since the episode after Carter was stabbed. Very emotional too. Anthony Edwards did a great job portraying a man forced to comfort the person responsible for nearly killing his child.

Back to Mom? Off to boarding school? Come on, your child is your child - parents can't just cut their losses and start over with the next one in hopes that things work out better.

Pieter

18. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

The bling guy was Peter(head of the Phoenix Foundation) from MacGyvor.

In the preview it showed Greene beating his head against something in frustration, maybe that cause some type of relapse.

19. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Peter Thorton. MacGyver was such a cool show.

20. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

That was Dana Elcar as the blind guy. It was nice to see him on TV again. Sadly, I think he lost his sight during the filming of MacGyver.
    I could have done without his toenail flying into Frank's cofee. Ugh! [​IMG]