Equiptment in different room than TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robinson, May 9, 2001.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    A few people have recommended Radio Shack's little pyramid remote extenders. Are they any good? Other suggestions under $50? My office neighbors the living room and i want to keep my equiptment rack in my office and just the TV and spkrs in the living room (wife's wishes). I need something to operate through one wall, same level in the house. What's my best option? Also, what about speaker wire, S-Video wire, and subwoofer cable - if i need to run 20 or 30' or more even, is there a major loss of quality? Brand recommendations for longer runs, or do they all degrade over length evenly? Thanks!!!

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I've heard time and time again that those Pyramids are very touchy.
    www.bass-home.com has a Xantech 490-Kit for $135.00 that contains a low visibility IR receiver, a connecting block (for up to 6 electronics devices), a power supply, and 4 IR emitters each with 10' cords and adhesive strips (additional emitters are $7.00 each). I'm sure there are other distributors out there for Xantech equipment, so I'm not positive you can get a better price or not.
    There are other Xantech products available too. www.xantech.com Seemed to get some praise on the AV Science Forum.
    Monster Cable Video-3 component, S-Video, and composite cables have been tested and reviewed in WSR magazine and the ISF to keep their signal strength for fairly long runs.
    If you want even higher grade cables, their M-Series and Z-Series silver coated models are very nice, but pricey.
    High quality, professional Beldin cables are good too.
    For extra-long runs of speakers cables-- quad-shielded 10 gauge OFC type wire is a must (perhaps UL in-wall listed for additional safety code security). It'll help maintain signal strength and eliminate stray interference from contaminating the audio over those super long lengths.
    You still want to keep the wire lengths as short as possible (however, with speaker wire the front set, and each surround pair should have matching lengths of wire for better signal time aligning), with a little play in the line in case you want to move your TV or speakers bit in the future, or are looking at adding a front projection system down the road.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have the Radio Shack pyramid which is I believe currently on sale for $40 and the IR/RF Remote as well which I think is being closed out and is about $50. Both work well - the pyramids are about 12-15 ft. in front of the equipments in rooms that back to each other (and so 25-30 ft. from each other) and there is no problem. The transmitting antenna does not even need to be up all the way.