What's new

Equipment to close for comfort (1 Viewer)

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi to all.
Do I have to wary about EMI/RFI?:frowning: I have large amp 200.7 in close proximity with dvd,tuner,cd,tape,turntable and ex! Should I think of shielding the shelves?

Tanks Brian

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes you have to worry, but the metal box's that enclose the electronics are usually well shielded.

The problem comes in any wires that carry power - these generate fields that can affect nearby wires.

I usually recommend people put the AMP on the lowest possible shelf so the speaker wires can flow out and away from the rest of the equipment and wires. Pull the power cords to one side and then let the interconnects dangle down the middle.

This keeps the 'sensitive' interconnects away from power wires, and also separates the 60 hz AC power cords from the speaker wires.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks
That sounds like good advise. I still mite try a wire screen under ea shelf wired to ground.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
the effectiveness of a copper mesh will depend upon the frequencies that the unit is emitting compared to the size of the open squares. if it's really eating at you and you'd like to emi/rfi isolate the component on one shelf from the one on top or bottom, how's about considering something like a conductive paint?
Conductive paints, which can incorporate metals such as silver, nickel, copper, etc. have been used to coat plastics since plastic is rfi transparent. For example, if we consider copper, the following lists the shielding effectiveness in terms of dB attenuation at various frequencies for a 20 micron coating.

Frequency.......Attenuation

Now comes the question, where to buy copper impregnated paint? Head on down to your local boating place. If you come from money, make that your local yachting place. They sell a variety of copper based paints that're used to paint the bottom of boats to make them antifouling. The cans will have the percent copper on them. Pick one with a large percentage of copper. After it dries, you can always put a top coat of a more appealing color.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
HY bottom paint sure lots of cooper. I think thats a cool idea. I think I will use sheet instead of screen see I work in my own metal shop.
You seem to be very knowledgeable. Do you know if stainless steel is any good as a shield?? OH what about grounding the panel does it help? Thanks you see I wont the most out of this system, but don't we all..

THANKS Brian

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I really think you're going over the top with your concerns, but if you're hell bent on wanting to provide emi isolation between components you certainly could use a metal sheet. But what're you shielding against? 10 terahertz? The metal needs to be conductive to be effective. Me, I'd consider copper but stainless will also work. So will aluminum. Look at computer cases for instance, right?
I think though you'll get far more enjoyment out of your system if you work on speaker placement and room acoustics.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
So you think I am over the top. Well I wil take that as a comlument. You know I am not looking to put the shelv thrue the cryonec sleep! I did hear of a person having tropul wen he moved the tuner to close to hes amp. He move it and the trubul stoped. Than inserted wifes cockea sheet and the problum was gone. I think she is still looking for tha cooke sheet.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
:angry: Ouch I hit the wrong key!! Obviously I was looking for spell check . I bin up late helping my church with a 24 hour worship service and I had to many hours on the sound board. Do not take that post in a bad way it was not finished and was not meant to send!!! If you got thru my outrageous spelling Hope you could see the pun on the deep freeze. Well I need SLEEP. So thank Chu for your help and when I am more alert I will continue.
Hay I have bin meaning to tell you I love you WC Fields quote:D NOW I WILL TRY later.

BURNED OUT!:frowning:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well your friend might've had a defective unit there assuming that's a true story. audio equipment that's sold in this country must meet certain sections of FCC Part 15 which specifically deals with emissions. Sure there's 'always' the possibility of a problem however that's going to be quite the rarity with stuff that's mainstream. Those DIY kits, limited production, hand made 'audiphile' units quite frankly, I'd be more concerned about. Audio, like any other hobby, is replete with amazing stories.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Yes true story! No scifi no diy no junk. Yes very concerned about audio! Hay thanks for you help.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks