What's new

Equipment Recommendation Please (1 Viewer)

Bill*R

Auditioning
Hi:

I just finished building a 14 x 20 14-0 x 20-0 HT. I need to replace my reciever. I was hoping that I could recieve some suggestions on my equipment set-up. I used a lot of componenets that I have had for some time. Following is a run down:

1) Bose Accoustimass front and center speakers.
2) (2) Bose Model 100 rear speakers
3) Sony Disc Explorer 400 DVD player
4) Paradigm PDR Series sub woofer
5) Infocus Screenplay 5700 Projector
6) Onkyo Receiver

A few questions - Can anyone recommend a descent receiver (Mid priced)? Would a sound conditioner be recommended? Would a amp or pre-amp be recommended? Any other equipment that would be recommended.

As I'm sure you can tell, I don't know much about what equipment is good or not. I try to read reviews but am still unsure about what to purchase. My main concern is a new reciever that has multiple component In & Out jacks. I would also like to be able to run my computer thru the receiver and projector. Once again, I need to stay in the mid price range.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Nhan_H

Second Unit
What kind of Onkyo receiver do you currently have? Does it do DD and DTS?

What exactly is mid priced? This can mean a lot of things to different people.

I'm sure most people would recommend replacing #s 1 and 2 before getting a new receiver?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You might look at the new Pioneer Elite reciever I think it sales for around $1500 and has 6.1 DD/DTS, assignable digital inputs, assignable conponent, xm satalite reciever built in with plenty of options. And you can use external amplification later if you want. It uses digital amplifiers so you might want to hear it for yourself. Oh and it has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi out. And I think the hdmi is assignable so that might be something to check out especially if you are looking to get into hd-dvd or blu-ray hd. The Denon AVR-3806 is around $1400 and the step up from that the 4805 is around $3500.

I would also suggest replacing 1 & 2 before getting a reciever or at the same time you get a reciever.

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
As Nhan_H said mid priced is a little vague. My advice would be to look at some refurbed H/K's at thier EBAY store and get the best one you can afford. (You still get the warranty)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks