Equipment Rack with Heavy Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rutgar, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

I just bought a Middle Atlantic Rack, and plan on doing a "built-in" install with it. I have three older McIntosh amplifiers that weigh about 140 pounds each. They are rack mountable from the factory, but the only thing that will be holding them in the Rack, is the front face plate and screws (8 for each amp). I've test fitted one of the amps, and it seems to be solid and stable. But, I'm concerned about having all three of them in the rack with only the front supporting them since collectivly, they weigh over 400 pounds! I've looked for rack accessories that would give support to the rear of the amplifiers, but haven't had any luck in finding anything. Does anyone here know if of anything that would help support the back end of these amps? Or, will the front face plate screws alone hold without any problems? I would be real intersted in anyone elses experience with heavy equipment that is rack mounted.

Thank You.

- Rutgar

2. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Rutgar,

I had a similar situation with a Sampson S-1000 amp, however it only weighs about 40 lbs. When I mounted it into the rack, the back was a little wobly: it wasn't going anywhere, but I just didn't like that it moved around. My amp comes with a built-in set of rear rack brackets, but it will not fit the Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack that I am using.

I built a pair of extension brackets out of some galvanized steel nailing plates from Home Depot (they are flat and have a bunch of holes for nailing deck parts together). I put a 90-degree bend in them and drilled some holes to attach the rack screws to the rear of the rack and bolts to attach the bracket to the amp.

It took less than an hour and $5 dollars worth of parts.

You can see the picture here:

Picture

Also, if you have a Slim 5 rack, you can buy their zero-space shelf and still mount the components to the front of the rack.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Anthony

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I do exactly as Anthony suggest, a have "Slim-5" shelves supporting rackmount amplifiers, and still mount rackmountable amps onto the ears.

This works out very well, and the support issue is then non-existent.

Also, don't forget to leave 1 or 2 Us between the amplifiers for air circulation [​IMG]

Regards,

4. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Anthony, thanks for the idea, I'll look into that. I can't get the link to your picture to work though. BTW, it is the Slim 5 that I have as well.

John, as far as the cooling issue you brought up, the amps each have two huge fans on the back with vents on the sides. The cooing fans can be set to be on all the time, or in automatic mode. The amps are solid on the top and bottom, so all of the cooling is done through the sides, and out the back (which will be open). I'm going to run short of rack space if I have to space the amps (I didn't think ahead of time about cooling). Because of the design of the amps though, I'm thinking that cooling won't be a problem, but I'd be interested to know what you think.

- Rutgar

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Rutgar,

Well, I can't speak specifically to your amplifiers, but as you go up the stack, they're going to get progressively warmer....

Well the last amp overheat? I don't know.

When I was planning out my install, I allowed 1U between all electronics except amps, and 2U between all amps as a minimum.

edit

If you have side panels, you won't have tons of space for side circulation, which is another concern. Still, as you can see above, I tend to be very conservative with cooling.

Cheers,

6. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Well, I gave a closer at the amps, and there is a vent on the bottom as well. I've ordered a couple of single vent spaces for the rack, and I'm going to put one rack space between each amp. The trade off is that I can't put the line conditioner the rack. No big deal really, it's not something that I need to have front access to anyway.

- Rutgar