What's new

Equipment Rack suggestion (1 Viewer)

TonyWright

Second Unit
I am looking for information on a nice furniture grade equipment rack with mounting rails in side. I want to ability to mount the standard 19" equipment in a rack, but still keep a nice furniture grade quality.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

If this post doesn't belong here, would a moderator please move it for me? I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

Thanks,

Tony

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

I don't know of anything readily available...but you do have some options:

What I did was mount a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack inside my cabinet:

-Since the opening in my cabinet was wider than the rack, I installed some molding so that there are no gaps.

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/681cdfb...wSqMBB3USsEcw0

-The Slim 5 rack is 20 inches deep, but my cabinet is only about 15 deep, so the rack hangs outside the back of the cabinet...it is a little 'ghetto'.

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/681cdfb...wSqMBBhuYxkAqO

-I also installed a heavy duty lazy suzan on the bottom of my cabinet (available at www.rockler.com) so that I can rotate the rack to have access to the back.

-The reason I went with the Slim 5 Series is that it has the "zero height" (they mount to the sides of the rack not the front) rack shelves that attach to the back and front of the rack: it is much more sturdy than the shelves that just attach to the front.

I have two suggestions:

1. Look for a furniture grade cabinet that will allow you to mount a rack inside (I believe you can get a custom height Slim 5 rack from Middle Atlantic). Then you or someone you hire can trim out the front with some matching moulding to give it the 'built-in' look.

2. Buy the Slim 5 rack or similar model and have a cabinet maker build you a custom cabinet around it.

If you decide to go with one of these options, I've got some more tips to share.

Regards,
Anthony

TonyWright

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply!

I am getting dead pages when trying to view your pics though.

I will definitely look into the method you have suggested as it is the best idea I have seen yet. I have been unable to find anything that is prebuilt. I don't have any problem building something like that myself though.

Thanks again for the info.

Tony

Dean_S

Second Unit
I have a Synergy rack (sans the rack mount option) and I love it. Mine is the Twin 40 in Walnut, mesh doors and walnut side panels. It's built like a tank and is nice furniture by most peoples standards. My only complaint is the assembly instructions sucked for the add-on items like the doors and side panels...it's like puzzle and each piece needs to go on in a certain order. I used to have a 40" Sony CRT on the top shelf (300 lbs) but now I have a 37" flat panel and I'm considering adding the Plasma mount option.

TonyWright

Second Unit
Brian and Dean,

Thanks very much for your replys. This is exactly what I am looking for. They are a little pricey, but I have not found anything even close to their quality.

Thanks again!

Tony

Alex F.

Second Unit
I'll "third" the Salamander racks. Our Twin 20 and Single 40, in walnut with matching side panels and doors, are gorgeous, of very high quality, and expandable to various configurations.

Without any help from me, my wife assembled them. A woman with beauty, brains, and mechanical abilities, and a rabid football and baseball fan--sorry guys, her sister is already taken!

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, glad I could help. Being in CT and working with my dealer alot, I have been able to go to the Salamander Facilities. They are great to deal with. If I have any issues they off replacements right there. Good luck.

Brian

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nice work with the rack, Anthony. I notice you’re using some Adcom gear like I am, the ACE-515 and the older amps. Were you able to get rack mounts from Adcom for the amps? I’ve always wondered if they had them available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Thanks for the compliments.

I ordered the rack mounts directly from Adcom almost two years ago. The boxes they came in match their old boxes...I imagine they have them just sitting on the shelf, and are probably from the original manufacturing run.

They are a little pricey: one 2Unit and one 4Unit + shipping was $70. However, they are beefy chucks of anodized aluminum that match up with the components.

One odd thing about the ACE-515 is that it is not a 2Unit (3.5 inches) enclosure, it is only about 3 inches tall. The holes do not match up with the regular rack spacing holes, instead they match up with the threaded holes between the 1Units. I mounted the ACE-515 with only 2 screws instead of four.

If you zoom into picture 100_3814-bc.JPG, you will see that there are only two screws in the ACE-515 and there is a Middle Atlantic lacing strip (used as a spacer) between the ACE-515 and the amplifier.

Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks