Equipment rack... How big should the shelves be?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex-F-V, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I just got a couple of beautiful pieces of wood that I want to make in a audio rack.
    And they are 31 1/2" wide and 6' long.
    I want to use the 31 1/2" side as the fronts of the rack but how deep should I make the shelves?
    I want to make them deep enough to recieve any piece of future electronics that I might buy, regardless of what I have now.

So essentially all of the shelves will be 31 1/2" x ????

Thx alex

2. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Wow...I could be wrong, but that should be more than enough space. The rack that I just built had each shelf at 21*23...the receiver's a little snug (as it's supposed to be), with only an inch on each side til you hit the legs, but depth-wise, nothing really gets close to the back-edge of the 21"s. You could make it 24" deep, thus giving you exactly 3 shelves per 6' of wood...?

Good luck on the project, don't forget to snap lots of pictures [​IMG]

3. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

24 might be a little deep, depending on your preferences. 31 1/2 is certainly too wide for my taste, since standard component width is only 17".

My stand is 24" deep only because my tv sits on it.

Here is a pic from the side of my stand, in the front (black) is my Sony 2ES receiver and in the back (grey) is a Sony DVP-NS715P dvd player. Lots of room.

My vote is for 20 inches deep and something narrower than 31 1/2 inches wide.

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i think my flexy is around, 24X18, its plenty deep for my stuff, so i am happy

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Allen, by "stuff" you mean your microwave, right? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Allen Ross

7. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

I vote for 24" deep because you may needed down the line. Some components such as receivers, Amps and DVD (300+ disc) players are about 21 to 23" deep. When you start adding the connectors to them, 24" is about right.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Standard width would be 19" to allow for gear with mounting rails on the side so I'd go 20" wide by 24" deep. That's very deep but you might find it useful if you start adding CD jukebox's since the Sony's at least are quite long.

9. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

Haven't check this till now.... but whoa!
    So many opinions!!!! I decide the 31" is too wide and will Probably gor for about 24"-26" wide, and likely 20" deep, a happy medium I believe.
    But one last question... How high for each shelf? I haven't decided to go flexy style or a fixed version. If I go with fixed how high?

10. Allen Ross

i would go a little wider then 20.

my only reason, if you want to get rack components, you want them in some sort of case (at least i did) so if you make a case that is say 1 inch thick one each side, you are now looking at 21 inches, and if you do a flexy, thats internal pole placement, so you are looking at 23-24 inches over all, and with that you will just be able to sqeeze the case through the front.

i just realized what i all said is mute considering if you go 24 deep, your case prob won't be 24 deep so you could slide it in from the side.

oh well, i always go for the "bigger is better" theorem