What's new

Equipment rack above tv.... (1 Viewer)

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Well here is my situation I made a Home Theater out of a bedroom. I took the sliding doors off the closet.

The tv is going to be in the closet and the closet is the length of the room. The opening will not fit the tv(65") and the audio/video rack side by side. I will have to build a rack above the tv.

What I need is suggestions with doors or something that will hide the equipment and still be able to use the remote control. I was thinking smoked glass.

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance
Ed O'Neill

Chad Anson

Second Unit
You can get an infrared repeater that sits outside of the closet and relays your IR signals inside.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Chad,

Sorry, I don't think my description was too clear.

The closet opening is 72"W x 80"H.

The RPTV is 60"W x 62"H.

So the opening above the tv is approximateley
72"W x 18"H.

I basically need a few shelves with glass doors above the RPTV to hold the equipment. I want to have access to the dvd player and still sort of keep the light from the equipment to a minimum. That is why I said smoked glass.

Any links to hardware solutions, smoked glass doors hardware ect.

Still looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Ed O'Neill

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
If you build the unit yourself, where does your center channel fit into the picture? Are you using the TV speakers as the center channel? If you don't yet have 5.1, you should design the shelving to include space for the center channel.

Here is a draft of the wall unit I'm designing in my spare time (hah!):

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/ht/ecenter.jpg

There is space for 6 components, with a vertical center channel. Mine is a 46" Sony. With your larger 65" TV you would probably have room to design a horizontal placement for the center channel depending on how large a speaker you have, plus have components on either side. For my purposes, I designed in enough space to fit a future 20" H x 7" W center channel.

Another means of hiding the components is to use a flipper door system. One door per column of shelves. Each side swings open and is pushed back into the unit. This would completely block all light output from the components, but would require some good ventilation in the back to keep heat from building up.

Sean.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Sean,
I really haven't decided if I am going to build a stand to hold the center chsnnel just below the screen or if I am going to make a space for it in the rack.BTW NICE JOB ON YOUR RACK.

If I mount it in the rack above the tv it will be 5 feet off the ground and well above ear level. With mybcurrent situation I will have a rack that will have 3 row across with 3 units high. so the center will sit in the bottom middle row .

I however am more tempted to put it on a stand in front of the screen just below the screen.

Talk to you soon
Ed O'Neill

Tracy_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Sean

When are ya gonna get started? It seems like forever since you started your graphics, lol. Looks good, btw. Here is where I am so far. I think the only difference is that I finally painted and added the lower cabinet doors. I've got one more door to put over the equipment shelf, that I'll get to "sometime".

Tracy

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Tracy, that looks sweet! That's still one of the best non-dedicated home theater designs I've seen.

I've put the wall unit project on hold until late summer. Until then, my TV sits like this:

I snagged the book shelves from my home office:

Snagging the shelves was a bad idea, because now the home theater area isn't an eye-sore anymore, and the new wall unit has been put on hold for the summer while I help out with my wife's equine operation:

So, instead of staying cozy in a workshop, I'm out clearing trails of overgrowth and fallen trees, mending fences, loading hay lofts with food for 14 horses etc. I'm also gathering materials quotes for a new outdoor riding arena we'll be building mid-summer. Anyone who thinks Home Theater is an expensive habit should try out Dressage! The footing alone is pushing $7,000.

Sean.

Tracy_L

Stunt Coordinator
Sean

Look at it this way. you're getting to spend some good quality time (read as sunup to sundown maybe? lol) outside. I'd probably rather spend time outside then inside snaking wires thru the walls!!

Right now I'm trying to balance building new flowerbeds for the wife, work a little on the entertainment center, and working tons of overtime at work (got that good gov't thing going on, job security ya know......) I get about 2 or 3 spare hours at home a day to try and squeeze that all in.

DIY HT is a good winter sport anyway, unless you're having to cut wood outside. What kind of sub is that? You look like you might have room for an IB setup with your vaulted ceilings. I'm waiting on two of the AV 15" to build my IB.

Nice looking spread you got there, lots of open space. I'd love to be out in the country, but I don't think I have the patience to care for acreage like that. I am envious tho!!!

Tracy

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
The sub is a 150 watt 8" long throw down firing speaker from Cambridge Soundworks. It's part of their MegaTheater product line, and I own the 520 system:
http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...item=k1pk663xx

It's a very strong sub and very compact (about 13"x13"x13"), and provides an additional 300 watts total to the other 5 speakers (at < 0.5% THD). I snagged the MegaTheater 520 for $999 including shipping as part of their Xmas '02 sales push. It's what started my HT obsession. For the money I don't think there's anything out there that can touch this system's HT performance and features.

Yesterday we dropped four front bucket tractor loads of sand and topsoil into our 20x8 flower garden, just outside of our home office. I had the enviable task of mixing it together with the clay base using only a shovel. We have dozens of very big toys on the farm, but no tillers :) I guess we have to remedy that.

Tonight I don't think I'll be watching a movie with the home theater. I "forgot" ear protection and after pressure washing the pool for four hours this morning and afternoon, everything in the 2khz-4khz range is a tad MUTED :)

Edit: Oh, I also forgot sunblock, so at 9:30pm tonight I'm looking (and feeling) like a boiled lobster. Man, I can't wait to start work tomorrow so I can relax! :D

Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks