What's new

Equipment Purchasing Conclusions. (IMO) (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Summing up a year and a half of reading this forum and demoing components, I have come to some conclusions that may help others in their search.

***This is just my opinion. Take it for what you want.***

1 - This forum has been very useful and I want to say thanks. "Thanks". One thing about it is that there are people with many different budgets and expectations. Finding the ones with your budget is easy; finding the ones with your expectations is harder.

2 - Don't get overly consumed with the "horror stories" reported on the forum. Chances are that they are really blown out of portion. You may end up nixing a fine piece of equipment without giving it a fair chance. Remember, the people satisfied with their purchase are generally not heard from.

3 - I know everybody has their budgets but buy what YOU want. Don't compromise too much. You will regret it. It is true, you only live once.

4 - Know the features you use in a pre/pro or AVR. Most of them are useless. Get past the "looks" factor as well unless of course you plan to pick up chick with your stereo. 99 surround sound settings are as useful as a solar powered flashlight.

5 - WAF - Although justified, are we buying sound or anniversary jewelry? I just love the WAF concept.

6 - SACD/DVD-A, Yeh,its nice but get real, it is just not there yet for $1000+. Especially when you can get a decent DVD video player for $200. Sink the extra grand in to your speakers or avr/pre/pro or amp. In two years, you'll get a universal player for $99 at K-mart. Yes, a $99 dollar player will not live up to our standards but you get the idea.

If you got that kind of extra cash laying around, go for it. For the majority of us, do not feel like you’re being left out of a big party.

7 - Through swapping out various components, I found that speakers make the biggest difference (duh!) followed by pre amp then amp. Adding an external amp to say a Yamaha receiver only gets you the same sound with a more control at the low end and possibly volume if really needed. In the end, it still sounds like a Yamaha. I say, forget the AVR & amp setup. Either buy a better AVR or go to separates. (Just using Yamaha as an example here. If you feel offended, insert Denon in its place.)

Yea, I know, this is all common sense stuff. I just felt like writing it down. Next I'll be reviewing my system.

(Look for me at best buy. I'll be the one at the SACD demo station listening to DSOTM)

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Joe,

Really appreciate your summation and agree with much of what you have to say. The only disagreement I will respond to is point #5 - the WAF. The truth is, if you don't get it right:
A) There will be no anniversary jewelry because the marriage is over.
Or
B) You will be spending alot on jewelry because "I didn't complain when you bought that new (name-component-here)."

I say this from the standpoint of 30 years of hifi equipment and 32 years of marriage. WAF is VERY important.

Doug

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
6 - SACD/DVD-A, Yeh,its nice but get real, it is just not there yet for $1000+. Especially when you can get a decent DVD video player for $200. Sink the extra grand in to your speakers or avr/pre/pro or amp. In two years, you'll get a universal player for $99 at K-mart. Yes, a $99 dollar player will not live up to our standards but you get the idea.
If you got that kind of extra cash laying around, go for it. For the majority of us, do not feel like you’re being left out of a big party.
:confused: Not sure what you're saying here. SACD and DVD-A are relatively inexpensive (WAY under "$1000+" that's for sure) and very worth it for music lovers.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Joe,

Thanks for sharing your observations with us. :)

I don't agree with the looks part.. Hey did you marry a
beautiful girl because you liked what was on the inside?
:D

If 2 components measure the same and have similar features
that I need.. I am gonna pick the pretty face over the ugly
duckling.. I know I am so shallow! (Don't tell anyone!)

Great post:emoji_thumbsup:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Don't get overly consumed with the "horror stories" reported on the forum. Chances are that they are really blown out of portion
Another good statement here and one that I don't think enough forum members give credence to.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
You should add an important point to your list:

Go out and listen and see for yourself!

You are the one spending the money, not the "copy and post" dude hangin-out here.

There is no real "warm" or "bright" amp... it's not because someone find it bright, that you will find it bright. Sound is heard and judge by the hear earing it, not someone else ear...

Same thing for TV. Go out to see them. Don't spend thousands of dollar on the word of a poster telling you "Hitachi #1" or "Toshiba all the way"... You know what I mean.

You are the one spending the money. Go out to listen with your own ears and see with your own eyes...

And I agree that you should never ignore the WAF factor. It's really important. I spend thousands and thousands on my hobbys, and the WAF wants the same money to be spend on clothes and furniture...

And my wife always go in the store for the last price in a negociation for a high price gear, and beeing very hot, those young sellers are often giving her incredible, sometimes at the cost, prices. I love her! :D

DanaA

Screenwriter
Lévesque,

Would you mind then if I borrowed your wife the next time I'm out to buy something?
;)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see people can agree with most of what I have said. I knew the WAF comment was trouble in the begining.

Let me see if I can reply to the replies.

The WAF - Let's take an example of what I am thinking of. Let's say that I bought the Outlaw 950 but upon showing the wife, she did not like the looks of it. Since that is what I liked, I'm not going to return it to get something that matches the drapes. Likewise, if my wife likes a piece of jewlery, which is not my favorite, I'm not going to tell her she can't have it because of my opinion. Now if it something that is a affects the other person a little more signficantly, say a coffee table sized sub or a qween's crown, that is a little different. It's a fine line on how the WAF works from couple to couple.

Universal players - Well from what I have seen, they start at $500 but most are around $1000. Either way, that amount of money can go a lot further in a more mature component. Questionable BM, analog inputs, limited software, interface standards just recently agreed upon and barely implemented yet. All that tied to a high price tag. It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. As much as I want it, for me, it is not a wise investment at my budget level and at this time.

Looks - okay, if two components are otherwise equal, I'm buying the better looking one.

Contradictory statement - I said buy what you want and then elsewhere I said universal players are not there yet for $1000. I don't really see how that is contradictory. For me, it came down to the reality of the situation and how could I best spend x amount of dollars.

Lévesque - Now you got everyone wondering what your wife looks like.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks