Equipment on Top

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_Hunt, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Jim_Hunt

Jim_Hunt Extra

I was thinking about placing my Receiver, DVD Player, and DBS Receiver on top of my television. They delivered my MITS 65" on Friday. To get it into the room, it needed to come apart.

I took a good look at the top and wondered if the top would bow over time from the weight of the equipment? Any thoughts on the subject?

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The first thing to consider is the length of your cables. The Mit's inputs are at the very bottom of the set in the back and its an awfully long reach for your component cables, which are typically 4 feet or 5 feet in length.

As for the weight issue-I don't know. Something light like a DVD player would be no problem. But, some monster recievers are getting incredibly heavy, much heavier than a center channel. I don't think I would risk it, myself.

Bruce

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Too, I don't like stacking components to begin with. Too much heat--and heat is the number one cause of component failure. Also, even though the CRTs are down below, along with the Mitsu's other electronics, I'd still be wary of stray electromagnetic fields so close to a display. I'd get an equipment rack if I were you.