Equipment Connection Diagram

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Larry_S, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

DirecTV or DishNet Box
    Mitsubishi WS65413 RPTV
    HKAVR-325 Receiver
    Pioneer D563A DVD Player
    Fluance AT-HTB 5 Speaker
    Xbox

Component Connections:
    1)HDTV Box Component OUT to 65413 Component IN
    2)DVD Player Component OUT to AVR325 Component IN
    3)Xbox Component OUT to AVR325 Component in
    4)AVR325 Component OUT to 65413 Component IN

Digital Connections:
    1)DVD Digital Coax audio OUT to AVR325 Digital Coax IN

Optical Connections:
    1)HDTV Optical OUT to AVR325 Optical IN
    2)Xbox Optical OUT to AVR325 Optical IN

100ft 12ga Sound King speaker wire:

Banana Plugs:
    LF and LR Speaker Side(2) LF and LR Receiver Side(2) = 4
    Center Channel (1) Receiver Side (Speaker side is Spring Clip) = 1
    Surround Speakers (2) Receiver side (Speaker side is Spring Ckip) = 1
    Total = 6 Banana Clips

RCA Cables:
    Subwoofer to AVR325 (1)

Does this look right? I've been piece-mealing information and wanted to verify. I want to label all my cables accordingly to make connections painless.

2. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

my my impatient aren't we? [​IMG]

looks like you're covered with your connections. now the only question is are you looking for sources for the cables or do you feel lucky and wanna go high-end or are you looking for cables that'll do the job?

4. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

Impatient? lol yeah I guess so. My house is going to be finished for me to move in on the 25th, and I'm getting all my electronic guy-toys lol.

As far as the cabling, I have read many of your insightful comments, and do appreciate them. To answer your question, I will not shop at Neiman-Marcus if I can find the same quality shirt at Wal-Mart.

I don't believe I have to spend $200 for interconnects, but I do keep an open mind from those who have posted their discernment of audible differences.

I wouldn't mind going "high-end" on the crucial components, if warranted, but I just want my equipment to sound good and don't have to have, I don't think, the "latest-and-greatest" to achieve that.

I am open for any suggestions you, or anyone else may have.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well for starters Larry, congrats on the house. If those speaker wires are running in the walls, you may want to rethink your choice and go with CL2/CL3 rated to meet possible building codes. A little more expensive than the SoundKing (but no audible difference) are the KnuKonceptz wires which have blue insulation as opposed to the clear.

You can always browse the tweaks area a few weeks back and get a smattering of what's been said and various low cost alternatives as well as traditional super spec broadcast cable. The thing is, there are so so many decent cables out there and everyone's got a favorite place that they've dealt with. 6 of one and all that you know. If you're running any significant length of cable that requires high frequencies to be passed (DVD doesn't count as high frequency), then getting a higher spec'd cable makes some sense. 'Course, that doesn't mean it needs to be a mortgage payment now.

Might want to get pins for the speakers, the ubiquitous RS SPL meter, maybe some general cleaning products for your connections from www.caig.com, calibration disks, couple of boxes of pizza, and some beer for the guys to enjoy when they sit down and listen to your system!

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Larry - I'm glad to see that you are feeding the HD signal directly into the television. That receiver has a 50 Mhz bandwidth for the component connections. This is great for 480/720, but I like a bit more bandwidth for 1080.

If you have not discovered it yet, let me break some bad news.

That XBox can put out 720p for a bunch of games. But many Mitsubishi televisions wont accept 720. Make sure you restrict the XBox to 480p or you will just be looking at a blank screen.

I also recommend the Monster High Def XBox cable. While you can get the $20 Microsoft break-out box - it's not as good a design as the Monster cable.

Good Luck.

7. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

I appreciate the input from you guys.

Bob, does that mean that on the bigscreen the Xbox games will look bad? I don't have to have all games in 720, but I don't want the graphics to suck either lol.

8. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

Chu,

What do you recommend for component cables? Is there an equal to the monsters,betters and bluejeans to "get the job done"? Or would these be considered the "criticals" to spend on like I have heard?

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

10. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

Will do just that.

Thanks Bob!

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you look at the thread that's currently at the top of the Tweaks forum "Let's look at component video cables", I think you'll see that to my mind at least, there's no compelling reason other than personal preference to go with RG6 type cables for your component hookup. RG59's, which are about 22 gauge (give or take a gauge or so), and even thinner gauge are entirely suitable. Generally you'll find that they're double shielded which ought to be fine for the vast majority of home installations.

As far as Monster goes, it's difficult to figure out what they're using but they sure use a lot of words to say nothing. Better Cables also to my mind seems to be a bit pricey for what one's getting and I don't make too much of the silver coating on the wires. It's chief advantage if you will should be to facillitate soldering. Other than that...so what.

I myself don't generally recommend a particular place as I think if you're armed with adequate information, then you can pick out a variety of suitable cables. Component video cables from Target made by GE will set you back about $20. National-Tech has something that looks very similar for about $9. I'm sure if you hunt around and direct your attentions to places that sell all kinds of cables, computer cables for instance, you'll find similar shielded coax. You could do ebay, but I think unless you're looking for a specific model of cable such as a Canare, Gepco, Belden, etc., you're likely to overpay. You can also look at AVCable.com but while a respected company, I think you're paying too much for something you can't visually take advantage of.

I also think Bob's general comments about running straight to the TV is probably a good idea. You could, of course, try using your receiver as a switching device, but we're starting to see more and more receivers going with 100 and 200 mHz bandwidths. As to how honest any of those bandwidths are I really don't know.