What's new

Equipment cases vibrating/buzzing? (1 Viewer)

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Anyone have any problems with their equipment cases vibrating/buzzing when the sub does it's job?

My Echostar (Dish Network) Model 5000 Receiver case makes a buzzing/rattling noise when my sub kicks in a long low note. Also my VCR,LD, and DVD players vibrate somewhat.

All of my equipment is in a very solid built wood cabinet (built into the corner of my room) on wood shelves. The shelves are supported by the adjustable type metal strip brackets (obviously 2 strips on each side of the cabinet).

I've thought about taking some screws and screwing through the sides of my cabinet into the sides of the shelves for more bracing. (I have easy access to the rear of my corner cabinet for connecting wires, etc.) Or should I be trying to isolate the shelves somehow? Or is there some way to dampen the cases of the equipment?

Any help or direction is appreciated.

SP

Rob Bruce

Agent
Fortunately I only have this problem with the doors across the room ;) , but I saw a neat little trick that my friend pulled off with his home theatre.....
basically, under all the rattling equipment, he placed a bunch of rubber balls (Squash balls would work best) in the corners to help isolate the equipment. It did a great job of preventing rattling, and unintentionally, created a piece of hardware tat easily spun around on the balls to access the wiring in the back.
Now, I haven't tried this, but I think i may. Just make sure your equipment doesn't roll away :D

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
LOL....I can see my equipment rolling off the shelves now.
Thanks for the tip though, I might just check into it. I was thinking of using dynomat in small strippings on the inside top of the equipment, as to be careful not to block too much of the venting. All the equipment that is making the most noise is out from warranty now so I won't be voiding any warranties.
As far as pictures and doors I had no problem solving those. I took a piece of felt padding (about 1/8 inch thick) with sticky on the back, cut out small squares (about a 1/4 inch square) and stuck it on the inside edge of the doors in 2-3 places. The doors shut tighter and there's no more noise. On the pictures I took the same and stuck to the back four corners of my pictures.
I've still got the equipment to worry with and one of my windows rattles occasionally. I can go over and press on the window and it will stop for a while but eventually it starts again. Never knew I'd have to worry with all the different noises that a sub can cause. But hey, it's worth it. When playing movies it's much less noticeable but when running test tones it is very evident. Just one of those things.:)

Rob Bruce

Agent
I just had an idea, if you cut the balls in half, it would prevent them from rolling away with your equipment.

Too bad i just thew out all that felt i thought i would never use. lol. Oh well, the doors don't bother me unless im in the back part of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks