Equilizer Hookup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MatthewKolden, Jan 24, 2005.

1. MatthewKolden

I have a question that may be very basic, but I'm struggling with the answer.

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR502S Silver 6 Channel receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aNdwGvUp6nZ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=580TXS502S&search=SR502S+Silver+6+Channel
    to replace my old KLH. I also own a Kenwood 7-Band Equilizer http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aNdwGvUp6nZ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52800&I=113KE205B&search=equilizer that I'd like to hook up.

My question is, how do I hook this up so I can actually run all of my components through the EQ? I've read that you have to have a "Tape Monitor" setting on the receiver to be able to do it, but that doesn't make sense to me since most of the receivers I find don't have a Tape Monitor setting. Will this Onkyo receiver allow me to run all the components (dvd, cd, vcr, ps2, etc...) through the EQ, or am I going to be limited to running a single one through it? Any help would be intensely appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but what you heard is correct....you need a tape monitor, and many new AVRs lack the feature. It is something that was useful back when 3 Head Tape Decks were available, but of limited value today.

Failing that, if your AVR had separate Pre Amp Outs and Power Amps inputs, that would work too, but those are even less common.

Sorry about all that. I guess you can simply connect the EQ to the Tape In/Out, and hit the button for that input while another source is playing, then see what happens.

BGL

3. MatthewKolden

At least now I know. On the plus side though, most new receivers have such nice EQ's built into them already that having that separate one isn't extremely vital.

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have heard that running a DVD player through an external equilizer will disrupt the DD and DTS surround capabilities of the player. It's true, most AVRs don't have a tape monitor anymore; I was mildly surprised when I noticed that my Sherwood does.[​IMG]

5. MatthewKolden

Speaking of that, Chuck, just to satisfy my own curiosity, are you pretty happy with your Sherwood? I looked at a couple of them and still decided to go with the Onkyo, having had a good history with them.

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Matthew, I am really happy with my Sherwood. It has great sound and the price was just right. I actually had 2, one powered the HT in my bedroom. I sold the system when we moved since I plan on getting a whole new system for the bedroom. I will probably buy another Sherwood as the receiver though. Since I don't run anything through the receiver video wise (my TV has ample video inputs) the Sherwood was a good choice. Coupled with my Samsung HD DVD841, the receiver puts out great SACD/DVD-A sound. The DD and DTS decoding is excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend Sherwood to anyone.[​IMG]

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, since most users are conencted digitally from player to AVR, it would have no effect at all. It is also likely that, when decoding a digital signal, the tape monitor (if you had one) would not function, so again, not likely a concern with DD and DTS.

Now, here's where it could have some effect....if you are connected via 2CH analog. I have read somewhere (it was a while back) that inserting an EQ in the signal path PRIOR to doing Pro Logic or DTS matrix decoding can have a negative effect becase those processes are based in part on the phase relationship between the two channels. If an EQ were to alter that, decoding would not be correct.

Now, you could debate just how "incorrect" it was, and it would likely vary from title to title, but thats what I recall on the subject.

No, as for me, I have a NAD 762 with a full set of Pre Out/Power Amp ins, and have a Audio Control Bijou (a very high quality 6 CH HT EQ) patched in the circuit. As such, ALL channels are EQ'd, but thats pretty pricey, and again you would need either seperates or one of a few AVRs that have required connections.

BGL

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bingo. The analog and digital signal paths are separate, so even if there is a tape monitor loop, you’ll get zip from a DVD player when you engage the loop.

Actually this is probably the very reason they did away with tape monitors. Tape monitors would pass a signal with the other components, but if it was engaged when you fired up a DVD you would get no audio. So people would think there was something wrong with the receiver.

Now, if you also use the DVD player’s L/R analog connections, you’ll get surround sound with the tape monitor engaged, but it will be Dolby Pro-Logic. That can actually complicate things even more – since you are getting surround sound you think everything’s working fine. You might go for weeks before you realize you haven’t been listening to Dolby Digital.

By the way Brian, you have good taste in equalizers! [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt