What's new

Equilibrium is my demo disc of choice! (1 Viewer)

Lev-S

Second Unit
Nothing compares to the scene in which...

Christian Bale saves the puppy by wiping out an entire truckload of bad guys!

Bullets whizzing from front to back, shotgun blasts rockin the sub, and it's something that isn't too mainstream so guests will be asking "What movie is this?!?" after they have slipped and fallen in a puddle of their own drool!

Anybody else feel me on this?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Definatly. A friend of mine mentioned this movie a while back but i never picked it up. Went into bestbuy one weekend and the guys there popped it in while showing off some tv's. A crowd of people walked over to watch the action scenes. Next thing ya know they sold out every single copy of the movie. Excellent all around film

capt

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
My favorite audio moment in Equilibrium is at the beginning when he kicks down the door and they blow the lights. You can hear the people in the room talk back and forth in different locations around the room just like you were there with them. And then the gunfire starts! WHEE!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I just got this disc in a recent Columbia House enrollment. Looks like I will be pushing it to the top of my "watch list".

Thanks.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Michael,

Is the Korean edition NTSC or PAL? Is it region 0?

Also, do you know how the video quaility is compared to Region 1 and/or Region 2?

Thanks

Lev-S

Second Unit
THAT'S WHAT THEY GET IN KOREA????????? And here I am stuck with my stupid Region 1 single disc...:angry:

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I have the Korean disc. It is indeed only one disc. The Christian Bale figure you see is foam-backed, so he sits above the background to give it a little 3-D effect. This is one very sweet package.

Content-wise, I think it is pretty much the same as R1, but it does have the trailer, which I'm not sure is on the R1. Also, we have the added attraction of a DTS track! ;)

Sound and picture seemed top-notch to me on my 53" set.:emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Augh, and we got that stupid bare-bones edition version here in the States. Gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I love this film and use it to show off my system all the time. I took it into the store when I was demoing components to buy my HT setup, and within ten minutes every employee in the store and most of the customers had wandered over to ask "What IS that?". I was happy to spread the gospel. :)

cheers,
Phil

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I don't have the best system in the world, but I show the movie because I think it's a great film that most people haven't seen yet. Everyone that I've showed it to loves it.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
That is the coolest box art i have seen in a REALLY long time ....but why only 3 chapter stops ......anyway god that is a really sweet cover ! Anyone i show this totally underated flick to loves it ...too bad miramax didnt think enough of it to give it a decent release ....harvey blows :thumbsdown:

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I think the "chapter stops" thing is incorrect, John; the screen caps show pagefulls of chapters.

I cannot BELIEVE that we didn't get a decent release like that here in the States. I want to shoot the Dimension people. Hell, we didn't even get a box insert!

Who would we contact to beg for a decent U.S. release?

cheers,
Phil

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It took me a while to watch the movie but when I finally did (purchased sight unseen), I was impressed with the 5 channel seperation, bass and the film wasn't to bad either.

I can totally see and understand if they do have only 3 chapter stops. I just watched this today for the first time (loved it) and the first thing I noticed towards the end of the movie was that there are three parts to the movie (parts not chapters).

The first being when he enforces the fact that people aren't supposed to feel. The second being when he starts to feel and realizes that it could be bad in the long run and maybe he shouldn't do it, but he can't help it because emotion is human. And the third being that he comes to grips with the fact that he's human and has feelings and he's willing to fight for it.

Sorry for rambling and wasting your time. :)

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
i saw the japanese version of the dvd and saw it with DTS. and the DTS blows the 5.1 track right away. the 5.1 was pale and seemed to lack bass.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Just thought I'd add my own comments on this. It is the very first DVD that I've ever re-watched scenes during the movie because they're so good! Sound and pic very good. Yeah, the gun-kata scenes make the fight scenes in The Matrix and Kill Bill (for example) seem kinda lame and boring in comparison, though they're pretty good too.

I had a problem: I somehow started watching the movie at scene ~4 (15 minutes in anyway), from the main menu, I don't know how, disc isn't defective; how would you know, if you've never seen the movie before? Some movies do start abruptly with a bullet to the head, say... So I missed all the intro stuff and the cool beginning raid scene that a couple people mentioned...I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read here and said "what are they talking about?". So I was forced to watch the movie again :) last night...

I see that Dimension is the same outfit who put out "Below", from the included trailers. What absolutely terrible trailers Dimension has, they sure don't do themselves any favors for these two IMO great movies...least I liked them a lot. Both have great PQ/SQ and are well done for apparently relatively modest budgets. They both would make good demo discs, especially for those who think too much CGI is not a good demo. These two DVD's are very expensive in Canada compared to usual for such bare-bones editions, and the Canadian versions do indeed include inserts, as somebody asked long ago (I guess the U.S. releases didn't?).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Yup...my favorite audio moment as well! :D

I'd heard of this film through HTF, so I went out one night and rented it. Bought it the very next day. :D

The above-mentioned moment just blew me away. The audio is AMAZING, and the video ain't too shabby either. ;)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I know a lot of Korean Region 3 discs are really Regions 1, 3, and 4 like the Colubmia Superbit discs.

Is this Region 3 ONLY, or will it work in a Region 1 player as well? Has anyone tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks