Equalizer

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Burklund, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

what ever happened to the big equalizers that were hooked up to your home stereo system?
    Do these new home entertainment receivers have built-in equalizers?

Can you still buy an equalizer...and are they worth fooling with?

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The only one I have noticed is a ten band EQ by AudioSource at Best Buy. My Aiwa DV-75 AVR (not in use) has a 7 band EQ in it and I used it quite often. I think Yamaha installs them in their AVR's. Some here will argue EQ's, particularly outboard one's, add noise to your system and if you need an equalizer then there is a problem with your set-up. Bright speakers matched with a bright receiver for example. My problem is I'm a "fiddler". The more buttons and knobs there are the busier my fingers are! Can't leave things alone.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The stereo 10- and 7-band models you’re referring to are getting pretty scarce. Beyond the budget Audio Source brand Gene mentioned, and the pricey (but excellent) basic models from AudioControl, I don’t know of any others off the top of my head. However, it’s easy to find used ones. Just do a search on eBay for “(insert the name of your favorite Japanese brand) equalizer” and you’ll find no shortage of offerings.

As to whether or not they’re worth it, that depends on you. If you’re merely looking for some tone control for music playback, you can insert one in-line between your CD player and receiver, via the L/R analog connections (not digital). If a DVD player is your only music source, you can utilize its analog connections and send the signal to a vacant input, and patch the EQ in between.

Please note, however, this will not give any EQ for FM radio.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

WOW !!

That was quite a reply.......thank you.

oh...I'll avoid an equalizer.[​IMG]