What's new

Equalizer use in home audio (1 Viewer)

Peter Bossman

Auditioning
I've noticed there aren't a lot of posts concerning equalizer use.

I just purchased a Denon AVR3802 along with an Audiosource EQ200. The Denon doesn't have a tape monitor loop, so I'm not sure how to install the EQ. My DVD player is also my CD player, so this poses an additional hassle. If the CD was separate, I think the install would be easy.

Can anyone direct me to a link(s) concerning pros/cons of equalizer use and how to install one when you don't have a monitor loop?

Thanks.

Pete

Brandon B

Second Unit
I think you might be stuck unless you are willing to use the DACS in your DVD player when playing CD's. In that case, you can use the digital connection from DVD to 3802 for HT, and put the equalizer between the DVD and 3802 on the analog outs for CD listening.

I think the reason you aren't seeing a lot of posts about equalization, other than for subs, is no one wants to buy 5 or 7 channels worth of equalization for their systems, especially when their goal is generally to get equipment with as flat a response as possible to begin with. Plus costs for more interconnects, more connections and circuits in the signal chain, etc.

BB

Sankar

Second Unit
I have an AudioControl Rialto HT equalizer connected in series between my Denon 3801 and external amps. I have adjusted it using a pink noise signal and SpectraPlus (software) to ensure that all channels have similar frequency responses. In my case very slight adjustments were called for, but these made a significant improvement to the coherence of the soundfield across the front and rear.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I agree with Sankar. As most users of equalizers know, the benefits come from making usually SMALL selectable changes over the entire frequency range. Bright speakers can be made much less so. Speakers lacking mid-range can be born-again. The list goes on and on.

Only a few of the newer receivers allow for whole system use any more by including a Tape Monitor. If you feel the need for sound control in the analog path you're going to have to make separate connections for the chosen sources and manually select them for use.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Peter,

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Brandon and Sankar are both right. It is becoming increasingly common these days for receivers not to have tape monitor loops, so if you want to use a simple EQ like the Audiosource, you are just SOL.

However, equalizers like this have limited use these days. You can’t use them for 5.1-channel Dolby Digital, and it is a bad idea to use them for Dolby Pro-Logic, too. Radio broadcasts and CDs are about the only things left.

If you want to use your EQ for music, you will have to connect it as Sankar recommended, between the CD player and the receiver, and switch the receiver to an analog input.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks