Equalizer for Auction - Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Shannon, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure this falls under the seperates category...

At my local Goodwill, next week's auction will consist of, among otehr things, a stereo rack with many different components, as well as a pair of speakers. I know that this lot will fetch quite a high price, and I don't really need much more than what I currently have.

There is, however, one component that I would love to have:

Yamaha EQ-550 Graphic Equalizer

[​IMG]

I am considering offering the winning bidder to purchase just that component. My question is, what would be an acceptable amount to offer? I know it is an old piece, but I would love to have it so I can enhance my CD player's output. Would it be worth it at all? It is in perfect working order.

Thanks

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Wrong forum bro, there is a separate one for Hardware Trading/Selling. I think its called Hardware Trading/Selling [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    He’s in the right place, Justin. He’s not selling or offering anything for trade.

Mark,

This is probably one of the better equalizers of its kind; the specs are very good. The S/N ratio especially (critical for an equalizer, IMO) is much better than budget fare like the Audio Source products.

As far as what to offer, it’s impossible to say, since you indicate the EQ550 comes with a rack of gear and you didn’t give us any information on the rest of it. However, the EQ550 had a list price of $400, so I expect one in primo condition should a worth at least $175.

You may want to rethink your approach, though. Buying a stack of gear just to get one piece is pretty inefficient, especially since this and other vintage Yamaha EQs are easy to find on eBay. There’s one up for sale right now, as a matter of fact, as well as a very cool EQ-630 model.

If you can’t get this one, you might want to look into the AudioControl C-101, the absolute best of this kind of equalizer:

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. WendyS

WendyS Stunt Coordinator

I have the Yamaha 500 from my old stereo system.
    I always liked the ooomphhhhhh and depth it added to the sound.
    Do people hook these things up to surround sound receivers?
    I was just going to put it in a yard sale this year.
    Wonder if I can hook it up to my HK AVR 630.

5. Mark Shannon

Heh, Wayne, thanks.

Maybe I wasn't very clear (sorry if that sounds condescending. It shouldn't). I want to wait until the auction is won by another bidder, and later approach that bidder to buy just the equalizer. I'm hoping that the winner will be, sorry to say, dumb enough not to realize the worth of all the pieces in the lot (it is just a Goodwill auction, after all), and will accept an offer considerably lower than what you suggested. $175 is just too much for the actual use I will get out of it.

Nonetheless, thanks alot for your reply.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wendy,

Unfortunately it's not easy to use these equalizers with a surround sound system. To start, if you want to EQ all the channels, you’d have to have three of them.

Then there is the connection issue with modern surround systems. The only way to connect them for full-system use is between the pre-amp and amplifier sections. Most receivers have pre-out and main-in jacks for only a few channels, not all of them. Pre-out jacks for some or all channels are pretty common, but any channels lacking main-in jacks would require outboard amplfiers.

If you have pre-outs and main-ins for the front L/R channels, you could connect your equalizer there. However, you would probably only want to use it for music. For movies, any EQing would compromise timbre-matching with the other, unequalized speakers.

Probably the best connection scheme is to insert it in-line between a CD player and the receiver’s input. Then you can equalize music (which is what most people want to do with these things anyway).

I certainly wouldn’t sell your EQ550 at a yard sale, though. You’ll get a much better price on eBay – easily over $150, depending on its condition and whether or not you have the manual, mic, etc.

Mark,

If the EQ550’s too pricey for you, try the 330 or similar models that didn’t have the spectrum analyzer display.

You also might want to look into some vintage ADC or BSR models (both were made by the same company). Most have the spectrum analyzer displays, and they sell dirt cheap on eBay. They don't have specs as good as the Yamahas, but I used a BSR equalizer for many years and was very pleased with it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. WendyS

WendyS Stunt Coordinator

150 really?
    Wow!!
    I think I only paid 300 and that was 17 years ago or so.
    Hmmmmm. It's fairly light so wouldn't be a big deal to ship either. The wheels are turning now. LOL

8. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Man, I'm an idiot!
    Sorry about that. I just got the impression you were selling! My bad!

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Kind of hard to price, but if you know about the auction, why not participate. Depending on the circumstances, these Goodwill auctions obtain their goods through donations and if you had all the members of this forum participating then I would worry. But most of the time you might get those that are interested how old it is than it's function. If you participate you may get the whole setup for 100.00 and you can donate the other items. If you were willing to pay 150.00 for the equalizer then you saved 50.00 bucks.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    There's nothing wrong with your original plan, Mark: After the auction approach the winner and hope he doesn't know any better. [​IMG] There's a real chance he won't know what it's worth, just as you expect.

Regards,
    Wayne

11. Mark Shannon

Well, the auction was tonight. I don't know the exact model numbers, but among the items included in the lot were:
    • Yamaha Equalizer
    • Technics CD Player
    • Technics Stereo Reciever
    • Technics Dual Tape Deck
    • 2 (Two) cheapo plastic Kenwood speakers
    • 2 (two) "Power" brand Floor Speakers

The lot went for $250 final. Unfortunately, parental powers forbade me to bid on it. Afterwards, I approached the winner and asked what I needed to, but he said no, and commended me on the effort though.

All in all, I don't have an equalizer..but soon enough...