Equalization of Center and surrounds

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Eric D Wong, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

Ive been playing around with my HT system for the past few weeks and last night I decided to get down and dirty. My front L and R speakers are tower speakers and my center is the matching center from the series. They use the same tweeter and midbass drivers. However, the center never seemed to match the sound of the L and R. It was even worse when playing pink noise from L C and R, Being a home theater enviroment with a 93" projected screen, it really limits my ability to tune the sound by moving the speakers around.

Soooo, I decided to try some EQing. I forgot my receiver has an internal graphic EQ, so what I did instead was hook up a mono 15 band EQ I stole from my pro-audio system. I threw the system on my real-time analyzer and it was obvious that the frequency response of the center was slightly different then then L and R, thus the different tonal sounds. I EQ'd the center to approximate the EQ curve of the L and R's as best as I could. The changes were VERY subtle on the EQ itself, so no wild swings or single bands sticking out. After some more tweaking by ear, I now think the center channel matches the L and the R much closer then before. So this got me thinking, I'm probably going to go with

I plan to leave the L and R speakers un EQd cause they can be tweaked by moving and toeing them in, but the center and surrounds are pretty much fixed in their position for HT use. I used to hate EQ, but I do use EQ for my car system (again, hard to play with position) as well as my pro-audio systeym. Now I am on a roll to use it for HT, as HT systems usually arent as tweakable as your typical 2 channel "audiophile music only" systems.

I ordered a parametric EQ to try out, since it should be better for this application then a graphic EQ. When I get it, I will play around with it and then post the results.
    Sooo, who uses EQ for their home theater?

PS, Which test disc is best for me: Im looking for discrete full-bandwidth pink noise per channel, and then video setup for a DLP front projector. I heard of Avia and Video Essentials but it seems those 2 are out of date for the video stuff (for CRT systems from the mid to late 90s). Any others out there??

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Not sure if anyone makes a disc like that, but you don’t need one since you have either external amps or direct inputs on your receiver. You can use a portable CD player (for the purpose of controlling the volume) and plug directly into the amps.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah definately didnt get a budget EQ. Ashly PQX 571, 7 band. It should perform better then the graphic Im using now. Im familiar with their equipment in the pro audio market and I like their stuff. I do realize all EQs add noise, phase shift etc, but in this case the benefits outweigh the costs.

Other equipment include Denon AVR-2805 as preamplifier processor (I like it except it has NO staple loops!), feeding Adcom GFA2535 amp as center powered amp. The 15 band EQ Im using now is a DOD 410 series II. Not high end but did the job for when I was messing around. Projector is InFocus SP 4805. I also use a DOD real time analyzer. I saw your equipment list, I like audiocontrol gear. I have a richterscale III which I havent used in a while and I use their stuff in my car. Speakers in question are Polk LSi25s and LSiC.

Good point about the direct input. Ill simply use the inputs intended for SACD to direct feed each channel. Great suggestion!