What's new

EQs/Amps for the surrounds? (1 Viewer)

HT-EXT

Agent
Real Name
Joe Eaton
I am a fan of separates. The ability to adjust equalizer and get the sound to my liking is most satisfing. People keep telling me to go on and buy separates (EQs/AMPs) for the surrounds but that seems a little overboard. Now they ask me why don't I just come out of the receivers pre-outs into an EQ then go back into the receivers surround inputs. Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated.

HT-EXT

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

That depends on the receiver. For most I would say no, but some yes. Some receivers are actually pretty separated in their processing and amp functions, I think some older larger marantz receivers come to mind, such that it actually feeds the amps in this way. When you get the receiver it has jumpers from the pre-outs to the amp-ins on the back. You can remove those and send the signal to external EQs and then back into the amp just as someone suggested to you. I don't know the capabilities of your receiver at all, so I don't know if that is possible or not. Generally you'd need a way to insert EQ capabilities between the pre-amp and the amps, and that's not possible with most receivers by themselves unless you're using pre-outs to drive external amps. But again, it depends on what is in your system.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think he means just going fromthe preamp outs to the EQ and back to the preamp inputs, which should work AFAIK. Is it necessary? Probably not. If you were listening to about 75% multichannel music such as SACD, DVD-A, dts CDs, or music DVDs, I might say it would be worth it, but for most else, probably not. That is your call to make though.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

But the key is whether they are pre-ins or amp ins. On most receivers they are pre-ins, which means you have to select that as an input source. So you can't achieve this that way. I.e. say you have some digital in like a DVD source, you would select that as the source. But if you took the pre-outs you couldn't then go to pre-ins with that, because you'd need to select that as your source. You couldn't simultaneously select say the DVD input AND the multichannel analog ins at the same time. BUT, some receivers do have an external loop to amp inputs, and this would be different. I'm not sure if this is making sense, if I could find a picture it might.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
For instance look at the back of this receiver:

http://us.marantz.com/SR9600XMbacklarge.gif

The pre-outs are looped directly into the "main ins" which are essentially inputs to the amp. You can stick other components into this loop by taking the pre-outs to the external component (like an EQ) and then taking the output from the EQ back into the mains.

Note how the mains in are amp inputs, and are NOT the pre-amp inputs which are adjacent which could be selectable as an inputs. Unless a receiver has this external out/in loop there, you can't just take the pre-outs and go to the pre-ins, because then you'd have to select TWO sources (your source like a DVD, AND the pre-in) simultaneously.

I don't think very many receivers have that external loop like the marantz I linked does.

HT-EXT

Agent
Real Name
Joe Eaton
The receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-53Tx. I mainly watch movies (DD, DTS, etc) and once a while some music. I wanted to use the pre-outs for the surrounds(on the receiver) go to the EQ then back into the analog inputs on the receiver that I think were used for some of the first dvd players. I don't think it will work because receiver inputs are for a dvd and that would send the signal to the pre-amp first not the amp section. I not willing to purchase another amp for the surrounds but I have a two channel(15 band per) EQ just laying around. Just wanted to experiment but not wanting to blow my Elite up farting around. THANKS for the replies and patiences.

HT-EXT

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, Chris is right. It won't work. Marantz 9xxx has always had the main-out/main-in loop. MY 8300 doesn't, but my PM7200 integrated does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwipip