EQ'ing BASS SHAKERS

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason_RoyH, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Jason_RoyH

Jason_RoyH Auditioning

Hiyas,

I just ordered a BFD to eq my sub. Right now my sub out on my reciever is going to my bass shaker amp and my sub amp. Since the BFD is stereo I was thinking of using one channel for the sub and one channel for the bass shakers.

Now the real question... How would you measure the vibrations from a bass shaker to eq it flat or to a house curve? Do I need to buy a sizemograph for measuring earth quakes? lol

FYI I have 6 of the auro bass shakers (non-pro) mounted to the box spring mattres of my bed! The top mattres makes a nice filter so I don't get "voice in the butt" and gives the vibrations a more natural feeling.

2. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I don’t see how EQ'ing the bass shakers will do any good at all. Furthermore I don’t see how you can measure what little response they have, I think your trying too hard, what good could you hope for by doing this?

I’ve hade several of the Aura shakers in my old setup too, the best upgrade I’ve done is to buy some real Tactile Transducers that go down to 10Hz and cut off the top end at about 35Hz, that way they only kick in when they should and it feels far more natural. The Auras only go down to about 30Hz, so they are not really any good for true tactile use, but they are fun.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    This would be pretty easy with an analog parametric – just dial in a filter 1/3-octave or so at a few dB boost and sweep the frequency knob looking (“feeling?”) for a “sweet spot” that seemed to make them come alive. Not saying that would actually happen, but that would be the way to make it happen, if it was possible at all.

Naturally that exercise will be more of a problem with the BFD.

But as Mike noted, I’m not sure it would be a good idea. It may actually damage them. It makes more sense to me to just turn them up, if you want more sensation. You can get the equivalent of a house curve with an adjustable low-pass shelving filter.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jason_RoyH

Jason_RoyH Auditioning

Oh well I wast just thinking about it. I'm not one for wasting a channel of eq [​IMG]

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i'd say play around with it, make a nice filter that will take anything above say 50hz and obliterate it.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Here's the response curve of the AuraSound Bass Shaker

[​IMG]

So if you want to EQ them it's pretty easy to see where than EQ should be. But be careful, they can't handle much power, 40-50 watts max if I recall correctly.

7. Jason_RoyH

Jason_RoyH Auditioning

YUK! After seeing that responce chart maybe I should be looking at a buttkicker or something!

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

What do you think a plot of a Buttkicker is going to be?

It's nothing more than an electronically driven hammer.

9. Jason_RoyH

Jason_RoyH Auditioning

The bass shakers look like a one note wonder. All the other tactical transducers have curves like that too?

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There's really only one actual tactile sound transducer.
    http://www.clarksynthesis.com/

These actually 'play' music. Be warned that they are $pendy.

[​IMG]

11. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

The beauty of the Aura's is that you can "mod" them to a lower Fs (and smoother response curve.) They still can't handle much power at all, but using the modded ones in multiples is an inexpensive way to get some good "shaking."
    JP

12. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I bought the Clark Synthesis Gold’s for the very reason Thomas mentioned, no other will actually do what the intent of a TT should. You need to go down to at least 10Hz to make good use of a TT, the Gold will get you there, and the Platinum will go to 5Hz. 2-Golds set me back $400 plus tax, that was a tough sale, but I'm glad I did it, they blend so much better then the Aura's mainly because I can lo pass them at 30Hz with my programmable output in the Halo C2. The reason I mentioned the uselessness of Eq’ing is because as the response chart shows all you could gain is knocking down the amplitude, and they do not interact with the room modes so why even think about it.

13. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I agree. This isn't the first time someone has suggested doing this and I'm missing the entire point of why. The only advantage to using a parametric would be to put a steep slope where you want the upper cutoff to be. The purpose of bass shakers, IMHO, is only to enhance tactile sensation of the very low frequencies. I can't stand those things shaking any higher than 40 or 50 Hz anyway. Perhaps others enjoy the sensation more than me.[​IMG]