What's new

EQ Question for Sony receiver owners (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Hi,

I have a question for owners of Sony receivers about the EQ capabilities.

Firstly, is it possible to apply EQ for all the channels when using the 5.1 inputs. I realise this would mean redigitizing.

Secondly, last time I owned a Sony product (777ES) it was possible to apply up to 10dB boost at a selection of frequency starting at 99Hz, and it was possible vary the width of the boost. Is this still how they generally work?

Thanks

Steve

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Steve,

On current Sony receivers, you cannot apply the EQ (or soundfields, or bass management) to either of the multi-channel inputs (5.1/7.1). Enabling this feature would require 8 ADC's, while currently the receiver has only 2. It would also be of questionable value since these inputs are intended primarily for DVD-Audio and SACD, neither of which you really want to re-digitise if you can avoid it.

In general, the Sony EQs have three bands: "shelving" bass and treble controls, and a "bandpass" type mid band. All have adjustable frequency and level; the mid band also has adjustable width (Q factor). For the bass and treble controls, the frequency determines the approximate upper and lower limit of the effect, respectively. For the mid band, it is the center frequency of the peak or dip that this EQ band creates. The width control for the mid band controls the width of the peak or dip created. The level controls (+10 to -10 dB) are self-explanatory.

If you have a hard time visualising the effect of the controls, and generally have an easier time with graphic equalisers, then enable the on-screen display when adjusting the EQ. The (approximate) resulting EQ curve is displayed right there on the TV screen, showing you the new response in a similar way to the sliders on a graphic EQ.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Ah, that's no good then. I was pondering a Sony as a cheap 5 channel power amp with EQ for a specific application.

Ah well.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks