What's new

Epson vs Optoma for new projector buyer (1 Viewer)

snoopy4331

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Hello all,
I'm in the market for our first projector that I'll ceiling mount in our basement to watch sports, some movies and do some gaming. I've done a ton of measurements and already purchased a 106" diagonal Accuscreen (did I mention I'm excited?). I've done a lot of reading and had planned on getting an Optoma HD66 as I've read the DLP is pretty good for "fast motion" of sports and gaming, but provides a decent cinema experience as well. I don't care about the 3D aspect of the projector.
Recently I ran across some threads about Epson projectors, particularly the PowerLite® Home Cinema 705HD and now I'm back on the fence. I can probably get the Epson for a bit less, plus from what I've read it sounds like the Epson bulb may be more robust, they have better customer service and twice the warranty (2 yrs versus 1 yr).
I've a big football and hockey fan so sports will be big plus we'll watch movies periodically. I'll hook up my xbox for some games, as well. Any big plusses or minuses on the LCD technology versus DLP? Might the bulb life be a big player?
Thanks for any help/comments!!
Joe

motorman45

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Price
I think the Optoma would be best for you as the DLP tech is better at fast motion. the LCD units are very good but if your going to be Gaming and watching sports the DLP is better. i have an Optoma HD20 and its great.

snoopy4331

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
I've read that DLP does better for motion, also. Have you had any issues with dead pixels with your Optoma?

snoopy4331

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
I should be pretty flexible with throw distance since I haven't put in a ceiling mount, yet. I figured that location would be completely dependent on what projector I ended up with. All-in-all, I'd like to keep the price down so have really only considered entry-level models (say, under $700).

snoopy4331

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
After more reading, it sounds like I maybe should consider the HD20 as well. More pricey, but I haven't read nearly as much about dead pixels and RBE with it compared to the HD66. That, plus I have no need for the 3D capabilities of the HD66.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Another very popular budget projector is the Acer 5360. It's normally around $500. Along with the HD20, the Viewsonic Pro 8200 is very popular. Check out the reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com

snoopy4331

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Dang, you guys have me kind of contemplating maybe a 1080 projector! I know the HD66 is pretty bright -- one of the reasons I had originally considered it in hopes I wouldn't have to have the room completely black. I have some indirect can lights in the basement where I will be setting this rig up. If I were to go the HD20 route (1200 lumens) versus 2500 for the HD66, would I need to pretty much have all the lights off?
Thanks again!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The HD20 with a 106" diagonal screen, will be fine as long as the room is reasonably dark. Make sure the lights are on dimmer switches, and none of them shine on the screen. Are they all recessed can lights? If not, that's the way to go. When you see the difference in image quality between lights off and on, you will see why the room is best left dark.

Users who are viewing this thread