What's new

mylan

Screenwriter
Epson’s 5000 line (of which I have the 5030) also has a sibling line, the 6000 series, which are considered to be the “pro” versions. The electronics under the hood are generally the same, but the 6000 series has historically had the black coloring, been shipped with extra bulbs and setup options and costs a little more.

The color doesn’t really matter to me since my projector isn’t visible from where I sit during the film, but I do understand the concern. The thinking on the 5000 line might be that the whiter color works better with rooms that are multipurpose.

If i'm not mistaken, the 6000 series also includes a mount, and the ability to use an anamorphic lens. Considering all those extras and possibly a deal, its makes sense to at least put it in the running. As far as when it may come out, I've heard May from another forum.

Last edited:

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
I think that’s a great approach - they keep the feature there for those of us that want it, but don’t scream about it so loud that the anti-3D brigade would start demanding that since they don’t use it, it should be removed to lower prices. It’s just there for those who want it, no need to make a fuss. I like that.

Problem with that is that it makes it harder to search for a pj that has 3D. You have to pull up every model and search the fine print to see if it's even included. And sometimes it's not even noted there! Not helpful hiding a major selling point, especially for those who are looking for replacements for their 3D panel sets. And most reviewers don't help. They often to mention it either. And with many, even if its mentioned it's included, they dont bother testing the 3D to see how it compares to other models. Too busy counting nits and pixels to be bothered I guess.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All excellent points.

But at this point, and I don't mean to sound like a downer, I'm just glad that 3D in projectors remains readily available. They could have dropped it just as easily as the TV manufacturers did, and they haven't.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
All excellent points.

But at this point, and I don't mean to sound like a downer, I'm just glad that 3D in projectors remains readily available. They could have dropped it just as easily as the TV manufacturers did, and they haven't.

Hmm. They haven't dropped it just yet but the trend is not positive, especially if native 4K and optimal brightness cannot be affordably combined within the same unit. Based on JVC recently abandoning their E-Shift platform I would say the future is in full 4K, yet brightness remains an issue for native 4K projectors [based on my research] while still essential for optimal 3D.

The main reason I'm looking for and leaning towards the Epson 6050 is it appears to be able to offer [comparatively] good HDR, WCG support and superior brightness. Sure, native 4K has more pixels but even "faux 4k" has way more than I've ever seen on my screen so I doubt I would feel short changed at all. I hope I'm wrong, but if I have to choose between native 4K and awesome 3D, I'm choosing the latter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I visited one of the local "Pro" shops in my area earlier today. They say they will have the 6050 available within a week. I'm doing some last minute soul searching, research etc, but I think it's safe to say I'll be ordering one any day now.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Drum roll please! :drum: Epson finally has some new material up on their page for the 6050 UB. It's mostly marketing speak but I've done my research and am all but settled on this one anyway. Just looking for the best reseller in my area and trying desperately to find enough free time to deal with the purchase details. LOTS going on these days.

https://epson.com/professional-home-theater-projector-installations

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
After a good deal of research I think I've found my preferred area reseller and have arranged a private demo of the Epson 6050 UB for tomorrow afternoon. Barring anything unforeseen I'll probably be ordering mine before I leave the showroom.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
After a good deal of research I think I've found my preferred area reseller and have arranged a private demo of the Epson 6050 UB for tomorrow afternoon. Barring anything unforeseen I'll probably be ordering mine before I leave the showroom.
Congratulations in advance, John.
All HTF projector talks keeps my engines running.
As it is, I can barely even afford an Epson salt.
One day, though...one day.
Until then, cineastes, keep those torches burning bright.:thumbs-up-smiley:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Today's demo went well. So well in fact that my new Epson 6050 UB is now sitting across the hall patiently awaiting installation. I have a trip coming up this Sunday but hoping I can at least get the initial installation done before then.

upload_2019-5-21_18-11-38.png

Here are a couple of shots from the demo but please keep in mind I'm no photographer. These we taken with an iPhone 7 by a very unskilled person.

upload_2019-5-21_18-28-34.png

upload_2019-5-21_18-35-9.png

upload_2019-5-21_18-26-49.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I now have my new Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB installed. I haven't had much time with it yet because I'm preparing for a trip, but here are some initial thoughts and impressions.

upload_2019-5-25_20-12-27.png

The installation was more than I had bargained for. My Panasonic projector had a very simple ceiling mount but this Epson came with a professional level mount that required more planning.
upload_2019-5-25_20-23-20.png

I would guess the Epson mount alone weighed in at 5 pounds and the 6050 is at least 5 pounds heavier than the Panasonic PT AE8000 it is replacing. In short, if you're going to ceiling mount this baby, you had better have some lag bolts or serious drywall anchors. I used a combination of both.

Image Quality:

Again, this is an initial review and I am no photographer.

Disclaimers aside, I am generally impressed [dumbfounded] with the images I am seeing on my screen. After a little work dialing everything in to suit my room this Epson simply rocks. Deep blacks and vivid colors abound. Here are some pics and they are [of course] out of the box shots. I'm considering professional calibration but have no experience in that area. For those who know, is professional calibration worth it?

Standard Blu Ray content - Movie is "Flight." The up scaling here was excellent to me anyway. I found the same to be true for lower resolution content as well.

upload_2019-5-25_20-33-27.png

Here's a "faux k" shot from my HTPC although the above pics were also from there but showing 1080P content.

upload_2019-5-25_20-40-0.png

I didn't have too much time but I managed to pop in a true 4K title, Deadpool 2. These shots were not as impressive but I spent literally zero time playing around with these HDR settings which are so new to me.

Hmm... The 4k files are too large to upload and I'm out of time for now...

In summary:

I am overwhelmed with this projector and believe it will more than satisfy people like me who've never actually even viewed a native 4K image and are coming from 1080P. The overall build quality and feature set is beyond what I've ever experienced and I've been at this hobby for awhile.

On the down side, it is LARGE and much heavier than my previous projector. Even after research, I wasn't fully prepared for this and it caused some installation woes as mentioned above. I also found the included documentation lacking, especially for the ceiling mount. I realize Epson doesn't actually manufacture the mount [it's a Chief model] but if they're including it with their product I feel they can also be held accountable for inadequate documentation.

I haven't had a chance to evaluate 3D yet but hope to be able to do so soon.

I would recommend this projector to anyone who wants an ultimate Home Theater experience but also wants to stick to a reasonable budget.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-25_20-20-41.png
    upload_2019-5-25_20-20-41.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 135

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks