What's new

Epson S1($700) vs InFocus X-1($1000) which is the better value (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
OK guys;

Currently BestBuy has an AD out in the Toronto area for the Epson S1 for $1000 Canadian, and I'd like to see how you guys feel it compares to the Infocus X-1 for around $1400Canadian.

Is the %40 difference worth the price for the X-1??

I understand that the X-1 has a longer bulb life, but the bulb in the S1 is $100U.S. cheaper.

opinions?

Thanks
Brent

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
i found this article on projectorcentral.com comparing the two. they conclude it depends on what you will use it for. its a very good article, give it a read.

article

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I saw it. I'd like a few peoples opinions on whether the 400:1 contrast ratio is OK for home theater use.

Say on a 5 foot wide screen could I filter it for better contrast.

B

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I have the epson s1 and use it for home theater. It is an excellent projector for the money. Just be aware there is no optical zoom, so placement is critical. I actually bought mine as a display model at a local discount store for $570.00 and I'm using a dalite model b hcmw pulldown. The picture is very good. Mine did have several green dots on the screen which I tried to clean away but they wouldn't budge, called epson they overnighted me another projector. That one was worse so they sent yet another one, this one does have a spot but not where I notice it so I'll keep it for now. I even asked the customer rep if there is a place I could just send it to be cleaned and he said they would rather just send me a new one. Pretty good service I would say.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any problems with the low contrast??

I like good service, since going back to BB would probably turn out to be a nightmare

Brent

Scott.T

Agent
I looked at both the S1 and the X1 before settling on the Epson Home10TW10. I would say that if you are not bothered by rainbows the X1 is a better projector than the S1. Having said that the S1 is not bad, especially considering the price. In the end the lack of optical zoom put me off the S1, as I don't have much flexablity in placement of the projector. Rainbows put me off the X1.

Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each as I see them.

S1:
Low cost, No rainbows, cheap bulbs (about half the cost per hour compared to the X1)Nice bright colour.
Ugly! (IMO), Screendoor effect alot more visable than X1, low contrast, No optical zoom.

X1:
Low cost, better contrast, much less screen door, more attractive case styling. Better picture overall.
Rainbow effects (if you are sensitive to them). Bulbs are relatively expensive.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I have no problem with low contrast, but I have nothing to compare it to. If you buy from BB you can always return it easily. I am pleased with the epson. My wife is very sensitive to rainbows so I had to go lcd.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So it look like for the money it's a great starter projector.

Since I got rid of my 32" a couple of years ago I've been living with a 27" and it's killing me!

Thanks guys.

B

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
can anyone elaborate on how you would hook up an S1 to say an HD box, dvd player etc? do you need some kind of switcher or a converter from component? if so, does anyone have any model #'s?
BB's got one on sale here in Canada for $999 this week

brentl

Senior HTF Member
That's the one I'm talking aboot:)

It says it has component input, not sure whether it's interlaced or proggresive

B

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
lol, brentl I didn't even notice the first part of your post (or before I saw the ad myself, when I saw the price I must've just automatically assumed US)

still trying to figure out how the best way to hook one up would be :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'll be progressive input so you should be ok there. Given the price its a great deal for a budget projector though I've only seen it projected onto a wall at Costco.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Hook the dvd player thru the s-video or preferably the vga input. You would need a component to vga cable. I got mine at pccables.com I got a 35 foot one and it was under 50 bucks. You can also go long component cables and a short comp to vga cable.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I screwed up. This was the shortest ad .... EVER.

I get home today with the intention of going to see Revolutions and stopping by Future shop for a price match because of a 36 month equal pay thing. Only to find out the BB special ran out a midnight.

I'm hoping that a buddy of mine will be willing to match, but they may not!!

Brent

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
yah it was one of them 3 day specials, I probably should have mentioned that. It's kind of impractical for me to have a projector right now anyways... my room doesn't warrant a viewing distance that can handle any more than my 51".... so I am not too disappointed, I'll just keep shopping/researching and when I move next year I'll be set

btw, if you go in there today, and explain that you didn't realize the flyer was over so quickly you may get lucky and get them to give you the price.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'll wait for them to advertise again because FS Newmarket is miles away from any BB store.

Next time I'll go first day.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks