What's new

Epson R220... (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have some DVDs to make in a few weeks to give out to my son's friends. While I used those stick'em ones onto DVDs before I was wondering if getting this printer and printable DVDs will be a great "upgrade". Does anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions and the like will be highly appreciated.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The R220 (R200/300 as well) do a very, very good job of printing out DVD labels, directly onto the DVD. Way better and more accurate then labels.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Another option would be getting Lightscribe stuff, but you need a new burner as well as label printing software that works with it. Special discs, too.

http://www.lightscribe.com

Depends on what makes more sense to you - a printer, printable discs and ink costs, or a burner, lightscribe discs but no printing capability for anything but the discs.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pixma iP6000d, and I'll be experimenting with the DIY route in creating a cardboard CD tray which will allow me to use the printer to also print on printable DVD/CDs.

Gotta love the Internet...

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I have the R200, and love it. The R220 has been described in other forums as an R200 with a slightly modified CD/DVD tray. It's a different color, too, but no different otherwise. The tray has been modified with hard plastic tabs to replace the clear tabs on the end of the tray that slides in the printer. If you have an R200, you can get a replacement tray through Epson's customer service.

The R200/R220 are popular because of the CD/DVD printing capability at such a reasonable price. Avoid using sticky labels as they can cause playback problems in many players.

Good luck.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Get the white inkjet printables non-gloss top for the R200/R220. Brilliant outcome, I strongly recommend it :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Some people also like to use a finishing spray (either matte or glossy) to better protect against the colors running if the disk gets a bit wet. I haven't gone that far, but will try it soon.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply guys. So anyone know where to get these cheap? MOst sell them for about $100. Also, I plan to just use this occasionally when I make DVDs or CDs or some neat photo. Is it advisable to have it sitting around for long periods of time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks